bad shedder - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-07-2004, 07:28 AM   #1
aobeert
bad shedder

any you guys got any ideas on this one, i have a colony of amazons, one is the worse shedder i have ever had, shes wild caught but ltc, been here since 98,shes one big girl almost 7 foot, bonny takes on water, she lives with another female thats slightly bigger and depending on the time of year also with a male so it makes up a trio, the two girls have allways been together but one of them sheds terrible, the other perfect every time, any males also shed without problem, my thoughts are its not the humidity thats the problem,shes full of large lumps of shed with i need to remove as normal, she seems to get her head out and then gives up, i would have thought
that she would have dragged the shed of while going around the viv, its full of branches, the only diff with her and the rest is what
she will eat, she will take a max of 4/5 mice a year but eats turkey
poults like sweets, once i see her in a shed i raise the humidity
higher, soak her with a spray, it makes no difference, anyone got
any ideas

Old 11-24-2004, 09:27 PM   #2
Josephbrugh
Shedding

90 % percent of the time bad sheds are due to inproper hydration/humidity. The animal should not be misted before she sloughs(I never mist, unless it is breeding season), because when the water evaporates she is then dryer than before. Also all water has dirt and sedament when you spray the animals, and the water goes away the dirt and sedament stay(dirt cant evaporate). The best way to fix it, is to add lots of water bowls at all levels of the cages, these animals are not super bright so you can get little arboreal bowls for the brances to keep it in there face.

Best luck
J

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!