Is my boa a certain kind of sunglow? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #1
crisco89
Is my boa a certain kind of sunglow?

I bought this female at The Reptile Super Show in Pomona CA in august 2017. It was sold to me as a Sunglow. I was so excited about buying it that i completely forgot to ask about what it might be het for. It was 250$ it was a very good price considering literally every other booth had them at the least 400$. it is one of the most beautiful sunglows ive ever seen. It seems to have a reduced pattern.. no speckles, and is a very light orange/cream color. All the sunglows ive seen are usually much more vibrant in color with deep oranges or reds. Is it maybe part ghost or something. PS. it is a gorgeous snake to me and is the most beautiful snake ive ever owned, seriously not complaining about the lack of vibrant color, i actually prefer the more subtle pinkish orange colors on a cream/white-ish background as opposed to a snake that looks more orange or red. Also, is reduced pattern a certain morph?
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2017, 06:07 AM   #2
richardhind1972
Hi Crisco89
What a very nice pick up
Have treated yourself too, I love sunglow tol and I love my little girl too , I would say she was a jungle sunglow or (junglow) because of her reduced pattern, the jungle gene can often make there markings like this or even striped sometimes or a mixture of abhorrent markings , but she really is nice, don't Think you will be disappointed in her that's for sure, she may be due a shed if she is not really bright but there colours often are brighter as they get older

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
Lucille
Gorgeous snake!

Old 09-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Nice little sunglow. She was probably a little cheaper because she did not have the more vibrant colors which is generally what people are drawn to. Not 'part ghost' or anything, just a light colored sunglow. Coloration and pattern are highly variable in boas.
Congrats on your new pick up!

Old 09-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
elena
The reduced pattern comes from the hypo gene. Most sunglows have it. That's one of the ways in which a sunglow can be told apart from an albino. While some het anery animals show reduced color, that alone is not enough to identify a het. The only way to tell if she is het anery is to test breed. Chances are, however, that you would have been told about any hets she had when you purchased her. Sometimes possible hets are not disclosed, so you could always pair her with an anery or snow and see what happens.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
richardhind1972
My sunglow hasn't got a reduced pattern but has a full bodied saddles ,I've always thought it was the jungle gene that messes with the pattern and reduces it and the hypo gene clean its up and brings the red outName:  IMG_1842.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  285.7 KBName:  IMG_1834.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  234.8 KB

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Old 09-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
elena
I said most, not all. It is especially pronounced on supers. And while it is true that the jungle gene can produce reduced-pattern animals, plenty of jungles have big, blocky saddles. There's just a lot of variability in boa constrictors. Since the OP didn't ask any questions about the parents of the sunglow he purchased, the only way to be sure is to test breed. Could it be a jungle? Maybe, some jungles are very low expression. But it's doubtful that a junglow would be sold for $250.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
richardhind1972
Hi elana
I agree with oitany paperwork or knowledge of the parents we are never going to know

Old 09-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #9
richardhind1972
Sorry sent with out finishing, as you said with out any paperwork we will never know, as you say the supers are really reduced but there's know way a breeder would sell one for 250 ,still a really nice snake

Is there a way of editing posts on this forum can't see a way,thanks

Old 09-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #10
AbsoluteApril
Both sunglows posted have pinched saddles which is a trait usually coming from the hypo genetics.

Pinched saddles - look kind of like ><

Jungles tend to have blocky square saddles.

Of course normal boas can show blocky and pinched as well, as they are highly variable.