Apalachicola Garter Snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:48 AM   #1
Conornewton
Apalachicola Garter Snake

So I was doing some cruising and came across this sub adult "stripeless garter snake". It is, or once was, considered a subspecies of eastern garter snake. It was a quick run-in, got bit a million times (if you've ever caught a wild garter snake, you're probably laughing right now) , got pooped on and scented, then parted ways. After looking at the photos, I noticed it didn't have a stripe, like, AT ALL! Apparently, that's unique to the Apalachicola Nationsl Forest area. User 'Croakersoaker' posted a pic, just a few threads below this one, of an Apalachicola Garter with "minimal" stripe towards the tail. Some are very red in color, others... no stripe! Pretty cool....
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
Conornewton
Not sure why the photo above is upside down..
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2016, 02:22 AM   #3
tlmoon
Nice find! I hear ya on the biting/peeing on part. I found a nice little Northwestern garter snake in my driveway last week and carried him over to the woods across the street and let him go there. Feisty little bugger! Didn't believe me that I had only his best interests to get off the road in mind.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #4
Conornewton
That's awesome! Yeah, garter snakes in general tend to be pretty nippy! On the other hand, captive bred (so I hear) are fairly docile.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #5
blueboost68
Nice find

Old 09-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #6
Conornewton
Thanks! At the end of this video, you'll see the garter snake. HAPPY HERPING!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!