Smaller Alternatives? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
tandy4000
Smaller Alternatives?

Hey Y'all,

It's been a while since I owned any snakes, but I've been thinking about getting back into the hobby. The last time I owned snakes (about 6 yrs ago), I had 2 kingsnakes and 2 cornsnakes. I want to buy a red tail boa, but I think the adult size is going to be too big for my apartment. I considered ball pythons, but I just love the colors on red tail. Are there any smaller subspecies/varieties of the red tail that grow to a maximum of ~7ft? I'm thinking $200 and less pricewise. Thanks!

Dan

Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Shadera
There are plenty of smaller boas. I prefer the smaller guys myself, and keep Corn Islands. I also love the Honduran firebellies, and hope to pick up some of those next year, too.

There are also Hog Islands, Tarahumaras, Sabogaes, and I'm sure many more. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Metachrosis
Central American BCI
Hog Island,Sonoran,Nicaraguan just to name a few
Really cool,bc longicauda
All stay relatively small on conservative feeding(males under 6' out past 6-8 yrs)
Way to many options out there,Colombian BCI and most all BCC true RedTails
have average potential to exceed 4' enclosure requirements

Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
JCCS
Honestly, 7' is about as big as my Colombian girls get. If you're just looking for a pet, a male Colombian would be just fine.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
tandy4000
Thanks y'all. I'll be looking out for your suggestions at the next reptile expo

Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
crookedantler
Hog Island Boas are awesome! We have a pair and they are both great eaters on frozen thawed rats and are tame as a puppy when out of their enclosures. The female is three years old and only about six feet long but THICK. The male is two years old and about three and a half feet long.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
GMTIRRILL
like jccs said go with a male. but if you want the vibrant red tail you would be looking into a bcc from either Guyana, Suriname, Brazil, or Peruvian where females can average 9 to 10, and males from 6 to 7 ft. if you truly want a smaller alternative you really need to look into island localities or into Brazilian rainbow boas now the rainbow boa isn't the same as a red tail but to a lot of people it is one of the beautiful boa out there

Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #8
Addie_P
I second the male Colombian boa. As long as you don't overfeed him, he should stay within your size limit, if not a foot or two smaller =)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!