What would you do if you receive a snake through the USPS? "The Poll" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

View Poll Results: What would you do if you received a snake through the USPS?
Accept the package and consider buying from that individual again. 12 12.37%
Accept the package and never do business with that individual again 47 48.45%
Reject the package and never do business with the sender again. 3 3.09%
Reject the package and contact USPS disclosing the contents to see if you can speed-up the return. 8 8.25%
Accept the package and report the incident to the USPS. 27 27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
The BoidSmith
What would you do if you receive a snake through the USPS? "The Poll"

If I knew how to add a poll to the previous thread I would do it so bear with me this is a continuation of the other.

If you received a snake you ordered through the postal service (and you didn't know about it before hand). What would you do.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
Rockford
I would know about it beforehand because I would request a tracking number from UPS or FedEx and I would be explicitly clear that I will not accept a package sent USPS from the seller.....PERIOD!

Old 07-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
Brett,

The problem is that there has been more than one instance where the seller stated he was going to ship through one of the carriers that the buyer accepted. He then sent the package through USPS with an e-mail along the lines "your package is on the way". When the buyer asked for the tracking number none was provided or a USPS tracking # was given. It's too late to put a stop to it as the snake is already on her way. Thanks for your vote!

Dan

Old 07-23-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
reptilebreeder
you forgot an option. Accept the package AND report it.

That is what I would probably do. I know a lot of people are leery of that, as excepting a package can get you in hot water. For the sake of the animal, and to try and give the shipper their just desserts, I would do it. As soon as I found out, I would go to the PO and ask to talk to the postmaster. If they let me know before it arrived, say they sent an e-mail or called saying, "here is the tracking number, it's already sent" I would tell the postmaster that I ordered a snake, it's suppose to arrive tomorrow, and SPECIFICALLY requested it not be sent via USPS. I would bring copies of e-mails with me to "prove" my side of the story, and also to show that I informed the sender that the reason I was specifying no USPS, was that it is illegal. If the mailcarrier showed up at my door with a package, hopefully it would "click" that wait a minute this is probably the snakes I ordered, and I would quickly explain right on the spot the situation, and let them know that not accepting it may be a death sentence, and go from there. Hopefully, I would not catch any heat in that kind of situation.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:21 AM   #5
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilebreeder
, .....as excepting a package.......
accepting a package.................
Also, I should state that....never ordering from them againwas part of the option. Would seem to go without saying, but as can be seen on any number of threads, people who's ethics, morals, and even outright disregard for the law in such instance, would still continue to buy from the person.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:10 AM   #6
The BoidSmith
You are right, I included that other option.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:43 AM   #7
Cat_72
Well heck....can I change my vote then?

Actually, I think it should read, "Accept the package, report the incident to USPS, and never do business with that person again."

Old 07-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #8
The BoidSmith
After John suggested that other option I was thinking about it for a while. To be perfectly honest I don't know if it would be my first choice. It probably wouldn't be so much the fact of getting in trouble if I did. Would making a big issue about it deter that person from doing it again? Will his local post office keep a watchful eye on him from then on? In all honesty, I highly doubt it. Would this make it to the news? Probably, I know it would at least in our community where any unusual happening makes it to the local paper (Heck! You show up in the papers if you get a speeding ticket!). Although it might give me personal satisfaction to do it, how would that affect the hobby as a whole?

Regards.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
old guy
sting operation and investigation

of a shipper a few years ago. There was to no mentioning on the poll except other ?
It happened to me as a on going investigation of a person from another state as to shipping through the post office and the technicalities of the receiver ( me ! ) . The package was marked as " Christmas ornaments ". There was some strange looks going around by the postal employees as I was about to except the package but held off in that I told them that I never ordered any ornaments. A fish and game guy came out of the back and showed me his credentials of being the law enforcement of USA fish and game and of the regional agency.
It was clearly stated by him if I had excepted the package as and the name of the person was on the package as shipper and me as the receiver, it would of been a federal case on both. because of the fact that he was indeed under investigation and if proof was there as to me knowing the contents, i would of been in deep trouble. So you never know..........

Old 07-23-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
The BoidSmith
That was a close call Mike! For USFWS to have been involved and scrutinizing this individual's shipping activities he probably had a history of shiping protected species.

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!