urgent help needed - hatchling leo barely breathing, not moving - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
AGoodwin
Exclamation urgent help needed - hatchling leo barely breathing, not moving

urgent help needed, call to emergency vet was NOT helpful at all. they are over two hours away and wont tell us anything but to bring her in and at this rate she may be dead by then. I am sorry to be rude, but if all you can tell me is I need to bring her to a vet and if I dont I am neglecting her then please do not bother replying.

she is a hatchling, we just got her last sunday at an expo. she started going into shed the day after we got her home and is still in process even though she has been staying in her hummid hide ALL the time. She has not eaten since we got her. just a few minutes ago when I went to check on her (my husband went to get her). he picked her up and she started biting at the air then stretched out and went stiff. we thought she was dead as she wouldnt move and we couldnt see her breathing. I put her in a deli cup on moist paper towels and called the reptile vet, but as stated, they were no help. I dont want to drive 2 hours one way spending as much on gas as the visit just to have her dead by the time we even get there. then there were intermittent movements (only a leg moving slightly) and a breath every 30 seconds to a minute. as I am typing this my husband said she is starting to breath normal again, but she is still not moving. her fat reserves on her tail are gone at this point and I am wondering if that may be the problem. This is my first leo so I dont know how they normally are. any ideas on what may be wrong with her and how to help her are greatly appreciated. thank you.

sorry for lack of proper punctuation, capitalization, and for run on sentences, just trying to get this out there as fast as possible.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
snowgyre
At this point the only thing you can really do is get some crested gecko diet at the pet shop, make it very liquidy, and smear it on her lips with a spoon. Leos hate having their faces dirty and will lick it up, even on their death bed. I would try that later today, then leave her be overnight. If she's alive tomorrow then repeat the feeding once a day until she recovers.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
AGoodwin
we actually have CGD. before checking back here I just squeezed the juice out of a few meal worms and mixed it with some CGD and herpvite. She didnt seem too interested in it and at times wouldnt even clean it off of her nostrils, however she did take a few licks and at one point opened her mouth and I was able to squeeze in a mouthful. She is continuing to breath steadily, so that is at least one good thing. I suppose I will put her back in her tank and check in on her later. I dont know why she isnt interested in food. She did get one of her eye caps off, so I know she can see, but even so, she still wont take a small cricket or dubia. Hopefully she makes it through and starts eating soon....

Old 04-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
AGoodwin
Unfortunately, she has passed. Upon checking on her today she appeared lifeless. I picked her up and waited and waited for some small movement or a breath. I even misted her and gently nudged her but she did not show any signs of life at all for more than five minutes. RIP leela.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!