Your favorite homemade tools? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-19-2004, 01:59 PM   #1
snakegetters
Your favorite homemade tools?

Stuff from WalMart or other non-herpetological sources you've adapted for other purposes counts here. What are your favorite homemade or makeshift snake handling tools?

Here's a few of mine.

1. Bent coat hanger as a "third arm" to keep a pillowcase open when it's clipped to the garbage can on one side by two clips.

2. Tall laundry hamper from WalMart with replaceable laundry sacks on a top frame. Snake bagger!

Anyone else want to share their bright ideas?

Old 10-19-2004, 10:08 PM   #2
Mustangrde1
Trash Can. temp holding

Clay pots . water dishes and hide boxes

Snow shovel . Bitis moving device

Old 10-20-2004, 12:10 AM   #3
snakegetters
I like empty cereal and Pop Tart boxes as hide boxes. Disposables are a good thing, since the little darlings tend to leave presents for their keepers inside. LOL

Old 10-22-2004, 02:56 AM   #4
MGReptiles
cornor of the table.......perfect rat demise....

Old 11-20-2004, 10:55 PM   #5
travisc
I use a small wooden dowel with a plastic suction cup super glued to the end. It makes a WONDERFUL deli cupping device. Simply, press the suction cup onto the lid of a deli cup, corral your snake into the cup and place your lid over it. Of course, hemostats can work well too, but I feel this works better.

Just for the record, I feel deli cups and hots just DON'T MIX.

Travis

Old 03-22-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
SerpenXotics
deli cupping tool

I figure this is as good a place as any to put my deli tools at will post PICS soon for you tanith
I use a JR golf club and remove the end peice like you are making a snake hook then you can get suction cups at lowes that work very well and fasion them on the end useing the open end of the shaft of the golf club and a bit of superglue this works well for cupping venomous and removing venomous from deli cups without being to close to the buisness end of the hot snake the suction cup sticks to the lid like glue it also makes a nice shield useing the cup lid for keeping small active cobras in the cup this tool is similar to travis's wooden dowl only probably a little more expensive but I find it very useful and safe
now comes a problem how do I open the deli cup once closed it is really quite dangerous to pop that seal around the cup all of us know how those little guy's love to strike at the hand that is opening there small confined space where they can build up quite a powerful strike well I had my brother who dabbles in some metal work make me a nice small tool that is basicly a 1/4"x 2' rod with a small piece on the end that resembles a G what you do is use the more curved end to pop the first seal then flip the tool over and use the more flattened end to run around the cup to completely bust the seal all this time use the first tool to keep the lid secured on the cup so you have a chance to get your hook in your working hand after setting down the tool or as I call it the lid popper LOL
I know what you are thinking but how do I get a large active snake in a 10" cup use the lid tool as we talked about earlier but take the actual cup part of the deli and place it in a 5 gal bucket most are exactly the right size for the large deli cup move the snake into the bucket next and use the lid as a shield to stop the snake from running out useually the height of the bucket slows them somewhat but a whole lot better than a 31/2" delicup wall then just gently push the cup lid down and the snake will useually settle in quite well

these are some homeade tools and the tricks to useing them hope they are useful to all of you
Thanks
Joe Lesh

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!