Help-I need a snake! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
RoadHouse of Retics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmt View Post
Thanks so much for all the great advice. We live in MT-no reptile expos-only the local pet store where we frequent and he holds a snake or two then leaves in tears cuz I never take one home with us I just keep seeing the same snakes here, corns, a few kings and a python here and there. Dont the ball pythons get large? I guess I havent looked at those or the childrens pythons-I'll do that. He's told me "I dont care WHAT KINDA snake I get, I just wanna snake" and the garter snakes he keeps trying to bring in are not on my list of "Ok'd"
No ball pythons do not get large. They are a very popular python and come in all different colors. Well they can get very expensive. But a normal ball is rather cheap.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmt View Post
Thanks so much for all the great advice. We live in MT-no reptile expos-only the local pet store where we frequent and he holds a snake or two then leaves in tears cuz I never take one home with us I just keep seeing the same snakes here, corns, a few kings and a python here and there. Dont the ball pythons get large? I guess I havent looked at those or the childrens pythons-I'll do that. He's told me "I dont care WHAT KINDA snake I get, I just wanna snake" and the garter snakes he keeps trying to bring in are not on my list of "Ok'd"
Sure there are! Here's one in Montana, and hey - it's tomorrow matter of fact. Might be a fun outing for the whole family.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=256036

If you go, make sure you come back and share how it went. I'm moving to MT in a few months and would love to find a show or two to go to, just haven't had the time to research any of that yet.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
MRC31
I personally think a rubber boa's is a great choice. I keep several adults, and babies. The hard part is finding them for sale, and ones that are reliable feeders, most are wild caught. They are very gentle, soft slow moving snakes. I also keep kenyans they are some of my favorite snakes but you never see sand boa's they stay hidden until its time to eat. Rosy Boa would be a good choice as they are simple to keep. I would agree with what others said a perfect first snake would be a corn, they are inexpensive they come in a variety of colors, usually docile and very hardy and forgiving to a new snake owner. I would probably stay away from most pythons for a first snake they generally require more care with temps, humidity etc.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #14
the gecko geek
I wouldn't keep a ball python as my first snake. They spend most of their time coiled up in a ball, and sometimes can be picky eaters. My first snake was a Brazilian rainbow boa. (I was just like your son, dint care what kind it was, just wanted one. Then I saw my first Brazilian..) they are docile, active, and if you take them out in the sunlight you will see why they call them Rainbow Boas. It caught my eye and I handled that snake every day possible because I loved it so much.

But the choice is yours and your sons. I would recommend doing some research, who knows, maybe he will end up finding something that catches his eye.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #15
waddlecaudle
If you are still interested I have some input too. I would not get a ball python as a first snake. It is a great snake, stay docile even with little handling in a lot of cases, and even though it requires some temp/humidity control is fairly sturdy. However, they can be SUPER picky eaters (mine took months of working to get consistent), they are not super sociable and active, and spend most of their time in their hides coiled up until they come out late at night. Corn snakes are awesome, but can be nippy. The plus side is it doesn't hurt, the down side is it doesn't hurt at all. By nippy I mean, if not handled rather often they can get defensive, and if not fed well they can get testy with fingers. Cover those two and you are good Is he strictly snakes or is he into all reptiles. Bearded dragons are AMAZING first reptiles and I highly recommend them. Also be warned, if you get any sort of constrictor they are strong and are very very good at escaping. Make sure you have a tank with a lid that seals. My ball pushed up a tank lid that was duct-taped down (not super well mind you), slithered his way through a 2 1/2" crack (he is 5') and got himself into the air vent underneath my cabinet once. Tricky little things. Welcome to the herp world, its a great place to be

Old 08-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
waddlecaudle
Correct myself. With the nippy snakes... it doesn't hurt, but the down side is it can be scary because of how fast it happens so take that in mind with your kid (I wouldn't worry about it and it seems like you have an awesome kid that would be fine, just tossing it out there). The two times any of my reps have gotten me my hearts been flying afterwords haha

Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #17
Helenthereef
I started with Garters - bit smelly and didn't settle to handling well (might have been me of course),

I then went on to Corn snakes/ Rat snakes (essentially the same things in different colours), added Ball Pythons and finally a larger Boa.

Obviously everyone has their favourites, and I've ended up a firm Boa lover, but in your situation I'd really recommend a small Cornsnake.

They come in beautiful colours, I found them easy to feed and handle and yet they will grow to be a decent size snake without becoming unmanageable, and their needs in caging, heat and humidity are simple.

I know many people love Ball Pythons, and the two I had were fine, but it's my impression that the main fun is in cross breeding them to make different colour "morphs", they are rather docile (don't move around much at all, and tend to curl into a ball and stay that way when you pick them up) and perhaps are not as much fun to interact with. I'm talking in generalities here, I'm sure there are many Ball Python lovers who will not agree with me on this, but it was my experience.

What ever you decide do make sure you find out the following vital statistics;

1. How large will it eventually get?
2. What food does it need and can you get it easily in your area?
3. What kind of environment does it need (Temperature, Humidity, Lighting, Flooring, Cage size) and can you provide that easily?

Don't worry too much about getting a complicated snake at this stage - judging by most of us on this forum, and certainly by my own experience, this will be his first snake, not his only snake - he'll have lots of times to explore other species in the future!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
ljmt
Thanks-I saw this a day late, but I did send an e-mail!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #19
ljmt
I ment I saw the post about the MT expo a day late....didnt make much sense when the above post showed way down here...

Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
ljmt
Sooooo, would you have any Rubber Boas?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!