RI, mites, and ???? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-11-2006, 08:01 AM   #21
pasam
Just keep in mind the vets work for us. Just tell him you want them or go to a different vet.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:17 AM   #22
Griz
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Yes. They are somewhat nephrotoxic and can impair renal function. As a rule, you want to ensure that the snake is taking fluids...soaking is an easy way, but sometimes tubing is appropriate. Again, I still question the idea of getting the humidity as low as possible, for the reasons I outlined previously...but since I have not even seen this particular snake, I have no choice but to defer to the vet's judgement. If the snake is bubbling over, so to speak (relatively thin, clear secretions, with bubbles...that are visible at the snakes mouth, and may drip/dribble out), it may be temporarily appropriate; but remember that they are a tropical species and basic husbandry requires maintenance of moderate humidity. Dry it out too much and you will end up with problems.
My thoughts exactly. There is something to be said that the overall condition of the animals may not allow them to be given injections right now. Without seeing them it would be hard to tell.

Griz

Old 04-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #23
crotalusadamanteus
Good luck on getting them back in shape. That's a total shame.
As for the vet, I had mine do the same to me once with a rescue that was messed up like yours, but He gave Me a reason of awaiting test results. Some AB's work better for different things I guess. Actually the vet ended up keeping her, so she got a good home after.

Man, I sure hope everything works out for you. Have you dealt with stomatitis before? How bad is it? (this case)

Rick

Old 04-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #24
hhmoore
Quote:
Some AB's work better for different things I guess.
That is an understatement, lol. Some antibiotics are broad spectrum, meaning they do ok against a wide variety of bacteria...others are very narrowly focused (ie they work on gram negative bacilli). There are also several different classifications of ABX; based on a combination of how they work, and what they treat. If you pick an antibiotic with limited or no effectiveness against a particular pathogen, it plain ol' doesn't work.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!