Respiratory Infection - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
Talkenlate04
Respiratory Infection

A BP I recently purchased came down with a respiratory infection triggered from cold shipping. I took her straight to the vet when I first heard her crackled breathing. She came to me weighing 925 grams, and in 7 days she dropped to 855. Vet said it was in the early stages and instructed me to give her Baytril shots for the next 14 days. (she really dislikes the shots but I am doing ok so far) Her hot spot is about 94, cool side is about 84. Humidity around 65-75%.

So my question is when can I expect this to clear up? I read this can be a long wait. She does a lot of yawning and gasping to breath and when she yawns I can see the extra fluid like stringy watery snot in her mouth. Her head is consistently tilted up too. She also switches sides in her setup frequently. The areas I have given the shots is swelling noticeably too like a quarter sized lump, is that normal? Yes I am changing injection sites for each shot, even changing the sides of the body I give them on.

I can't think of anything else to add. Thanks for the replies in advance.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
bossroy
I'm kind of new to this but had some real sick and went to vet, at first the vet said it should clear up by end of medican. But a quater size hump is pretty big sound like to much medican or maybe your going to deep? Either way good luck!

Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
hhmoore
1) The reality is that, if the pathogen isn't susceptible to Baytril, the condition won't improve.
(that said, Baytril is a good drug, and effective against a fair number of bacteria...including some of the most common "bugs" that appear in reptiles.)
2) Rate of improvement can depend on severity of infection, dosage administered, administration technique, and temperature.
3) Baytril has been known to cause tissue damage, especially if the injection is "off target".
If those lumps are staying visible, getting hard, or starting to open - take your animal back to the vet & get have them demonstrate the injection again. (unless, of course, you don't mind permanent scarring)

Old 04-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Talkenlate04
Well slightly good news the lump has decreased by at least 1/2 so I think it was just irritated by the shot.

Quote:
to much medican or maybe your going to deep
I am going off the amounts I was told to administer which is 0.4 cc per shot. The needle itself it teeny tiny so I doubt its the depth of the shot.

She has become more and more alert to the needle going in though. The first few shots she just sort of sat there and let it happen. But last night she flexed so hard the needle bent. I still was able to get the meds in her though. Shes a good sport.

Thanks for the info Harald. I'll keep a close eye on her.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
Talkenlate04
Just an update she is all better now! She had to continue the meds for almost three weeks but after that she pounded two mice then two rats so she is back to her normal self!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
R. Eventide
Yay! I'm glad she's feeling better!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!