Sick Savannah :( - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
annmikeal
Sick Savannah :(

Hi I am looking for some advice...

Last week I picked up a Savannah Monitor from a wholesaler (obviously not my smartest move), but he was the most alert of the lot and I bought him.
When I got home, I felt like something might be wrong with him. He does not like to keep his eyes open very often and he keeps himself full of air. I would think that he is bloated, except that I watch him fill up with the air and not let it out.
He does not move around his enclosure very often, and when he does it is just a little turn and nothing more.
There is a reptile shop where I live and I talked to there vet tech about the situation. They told me just to soak him in water, gatorade, or pedialite (?)
Make sure that he has a hot spot of 90 degrees and that he has a place to hide. All of these things are done.
They also said that he is almost certainly wild caught and probably has worms, but if I de-worm him in the state he is in that he would most likely die. First I need to get weight on him and see what happens at that point.
He has deficated, but it was only urates and liquid, no solid waste though...

Please let me know if anyone has an input on what to do or what might be the problem?
Thank you so much for any help given, I really appreciate it

Old 09-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Hey Ann,

First off, can you give more information as to what your set up is like (size, substrate, hides, type of heating, temps at warm and cool end, etc etc).

Old 09-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
annmikeal
Thank you for responding, but when I got home from work last night, he was gone He must have passed away, while I was gone...

Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by annmikeal View Post
Thank you for responding, but when I got home from work last night, he was gone He must have passed away, while I was gone...
Damn Ann, very sorry....if it's any consolation, chances are that he was already in a weakened state when you got him.

One thing to keep in mind if you get another one in the future, their basking spot should measure about 130 degrees (not the air temp, just the surface where they bask), with enough room in their enclosure to thermoregulate.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
annmikeal
Ok thanks. I had a thermometer in there and it was always at least 90 degrees, but that was me listening to the reptile store... guess I just needed to do more research. Thanks again

Old 09-13-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
Maldesto
I'm sorry, i really hope you are okay about this, i would perfer reptiles offline now that i see how crapy pet stores are.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!