Cage Question for Kenyan Sand Boa's - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Show Me
Cage Question for Kenyan Sand Boa's

I'm going to be getting into breeding Kenyan sand boas and I am wanting to know what size cage would a adult breeding pair need? Would a 30" x 12" x 12" be to small for both to live in? I've been thinking of getting a few Visionarium stackable terrariums. Has anyone used these? I'm afraid that my baby boas might get their heads stuck in the sliding glass. I probably should get a rack but I like to be able to see in. Which is better for a heat source, belly, side or top?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #2
Randall Turner
Over the years I've kept kenyans in everything from 10 gallons, 40 gallon breeders, 2' sliding glass front enclosures, stacked storage tubs, and racks. I personally had zero problems using tanks and have actually considered ordering visionariums for my kenyans as I feel they have a nice look. I would go with belly heat when ever possible. My current set up is a vision versa rack and my only current pair of kenyans are kept together in a 32 qt tub in that rack.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Show Me
That's great, I'm going to order three and see how they work!!! I like to be able to see in and have my snakes on display. What colors and morphs do you have? I'm so addicted to these little guys.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Randall Turner
For the time being all I have is 1.1 normals. But I think I'm going to have to get a hypo or two in the near future, they are quite beautiful. I've had in several morphs over the years but let them go after having them for awhile (usually to help fund something else). The female though I have is more or less my favorite pet. I got her in 99 and haven't ever given any real thought to ever getting rid of her.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
MRC31
Just a note, don't get to excited about having sand boas on display. I have 30 or so sand boas from kenyans, rough scaled, arabians etc. The only thing I don't like about themis you never see them, they stay under the substrate 99.9% of the time. The only ones I ever have that are not burrowed all the time are my Tartar sand boas. They seem to be out and about more. I like to see all my snakes, so i try to give them natural enviroment type cages, i moved all my sand boas to racks. I had them in visionarium cages, which are great cages. I also use barrs cages from herpcages. com they are a good cage and very inexpensive. All my other cages consist of animal plastics. I have a 2.4 group of adult indian sand boas in a 4' but have do literally dig them out if I want to see them lol.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
kenchat046
I agree with Micah,..over the years I have used many different types of caging to house sand boas. Its my opinion that they seem to be most happy when they are burrowed into the substrate.
The other consideration you may run across is space issues if you intend to get into breeding sands. Racks may not be the best choice for viewing but it is a very efficient way to house large numbers if you decide to breed. Just something to consider.... Hope it helps.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
RedTailedDexter
My Fiance wants to breed his two female sand boas and we've been doing some research on this possibility but a lot of people have told us not to because they are hard to re-home/sell. I don't know if there is any truth to this and sorry to kind of high jack your post but I was curious(sp) to see if anyone knew if there was any truth to this statment??

Old 02-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
kenchat046
faelynn,........ I keep and breed sand boas exclusively and I dont see any issues with selling baby sand boas. You can always find hobbyists, or people wjho want them as pets. The other option is to wholesale the babies to a breeder or jobber. Or even place your own ad, or vend at a local reptile show. The possibilities are out there! Hope this helps......Ken

Old 02-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
RedTailedDexter
Thank you Ken =) I had a feeling it probably was not true and had something/ a lot to do with how much effort one puts into selling and re-homing the little ones.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
kenchat046
np........... feel free to email me if you two need any help

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!