monitor help!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
shaawnhall
monitor help!!!!!

hello, there was a petstore closing down. they had a 2ft (including tail) maybe less. they said the owner fed it twice a week mice only they had it for a month. same diet! i went to pick it up and it bit me several times so i fell in love. i have had it now for a week i have built a costome inclosure 6x3x3 and gotten temps constantly around 85 degrees i have offered it eggs and crickets and it wont eat them. what can i do? and another question is. For the size enclosure i have now is a 250 wtt bulb too much? i have a solid cage with good humidty and 12" of substrate. i like this little guy or girl ive handeled daily now and it dosent hiss at me anymore its awesome!!!! i cant do a whole room enclosure but what size will i need? thanks for your time and for reading im excited!! i dont know how to upload pics but i can try when cam is up and running.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Helenthereef
Have you offered it a mouse? If it was eating them before it might again - changing diet at the same time as moving it might be too much all at once.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
James.w
What type of monitor are you asking about? What are your temps, basking and high/low ambients? What is the humidity? What type of substrate are you using? Can you post some pics of the monitor and enclosure?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
BrianC
85F basking temp?
What are you monitoring temps with?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
shaawnhall
i have bagged sifted dirt for substrate. a foot deep. i cant do pics i dont know how to upload them. i am using a duel thermostat to read temps basing spot is 96 rite now it is a Nile monitor. thanks for your guys help!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
shaawnhall
i gave it a mouse when i got him/her the guy at the petstore and all the reading ive done said its not good to just feed them mice i want to do the rite thing. but i cant get it to eat anything other than mice is that ok?

Old 01-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
winno
I have monitors which will not touch live food at all but there are other options chicks and prawn have become the main diet with occasional rodent and egg for a healthy fat/protein intake.
See if this helps at all
http://www.wnyherpsociety.org/yahoo_....104180745.pdf

Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
shaawnhall
Thanks!!! checking it out now.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
BrianC
Read this too.
http://panoptesv.com/HBD/nile.html

Old 01-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
winno
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC View Post
Its been a while since iv seen that link but great read.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!