About-Snake Inclusion Body Disease - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Bluesrains
About-Snake Inclusion Body Disease

Inclusion Body Disease
©1995 Melissa Kaplan
Last updated February 27, 2012

Inclusion body disease (IBD) has been increasingly diagnosed in boas and pythons ("boids"). It is believed to be a retrovirus. The way it affects these two groups of snakes is slightly different but the long term effects are the same: the disease is terminal in those animals who exhibit symptoms of the disease.

Pythons, although their symptoms may be somewhat less, are just as affected as boas. There are asymptomatic carriers, so the fact that a boa or python within an infected collection does not show signs of the illness should not be taken to mean that it is immune to it. Boas are most associated with being asymptomatic carriers.

Signs of infection in boas include central nervous system disorders such as paralysis, being unable to right itself when turned over, "star-gazing", inability to strike or constrict. Other signs include chronic regurgitation, extreme weight loss, respiratory infections, and dysecdysis due to the inability to control body movements enough to rub off the old skin. The disease is rapidly fatal in young and juvenile boas, typified by rapid onset of flaccid paralysis.

In pythons, the disease progresses much more rapidly than in boas. Along with the above symptoms (excluding the chronic regurgitation), pythons also tend toward infectious stomatitis ("mouth rot"), heightened or exaggerated reflex responses, disorientation (which may be precipitated by the onset of central blindness) and loss of motor coordination.

What causes this disease? Intracytoplasmic eosinophilic inclusion bodies have been identified in the epithelial cells of the kidneys and pancreas. Neuronal degeneration and lesions form in the spinal cord and brain, and may be accompanied by myelin degeneration and nerve damage. Damage to the spleen is also found, with that organ being grossly atrophied and fibrosed. Electron microscopy has found that the organism falls into the retrovirus category.

The snake mite, Ophionyssus natricis, has been found in collections in which IBD has occurred but it is not implicated in all cases of infection.

As this has been identified as a viral entity, it may spread like a virus, through contact between infectious organisms (such as housing an infected snake with a previously healthy one) or through airborne aerosolized secretions, or by the keeper passing secretions from one snake or enclosure to another during the course of handling or cleaning (when strict quarantine and cleaning procedures are not followed).

There is at this time no treatment for the disease and, as it is at this time always fatal and highly contagious, euthanasia is the course of action recommended. Even if the snake can be kept alive through supportive measures (hydration and force-feeding), the damage to the nerves, brain, spinal cord and internal organs is so great--and progressive--that live is only prolonged with an ever decreasing quality and increasing pain.

Due to the increasing incidence of this disease, it cannot be stated or urged strongly enough to QUARANTINE ALL NEW BOIDS upon acquisition for at least 3-6 months, and to take precautions when visiting other collections, pet stores and expos/swaps.

http://www.anapsid.org/ibd.html

Old 03-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
crotalusadamanteus
*edited* Just ain't no nice way to put what is on my mind.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
I like anapsid but I know some people don't like Melissa's pages.

Anyways, the most up to date information on IBD that I am aware of is by Dr Jacobson:

http://labs.vetmed.ufl.edu/sample-re...ions/boid-ibd/

A local viral researcher (sorry I don't know the lingo..) here in CA is also doing studies on IBD, I'm keeping an eye out to help him find IBD positive specimens for his research.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Simply put, some people work hard and do their homework, and some borrow others hard work and put it as their own.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Bluesrains
I dont know if you are accusing me of posting this as my own, but
Im not. Its just something I found and thought it might be helpful to post it.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Bluesrains
Quote:
Originally Posted by I like anapsid but I know some people don't like Melissa's pages.

Anyways, the most up to date information on IBD that I am aware of is by Dr Jacobson:

[url
http://labs.vetmed.ufl.edu/sample-requirements/microbiology-parasitology-serology/zoo-med-infections/boid-ibd/[/url]

A local viral researcher (sorry I don't know the lingo..) here in CA is also doing studies on IBD, I'm keeping an eye out to help him find IBD positive specimens for his research.
Thanks for the better link. Actually, I never heard of this virus before. Back when I had my boa for 25 years, I wasnt online, and dont remember reading about this illness in the many books I had.
It did worry me, as I sure wouldnt want to buy a animal
who had this.
I posted this, just to be helpful to those looking in this area for information.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
a while back (over 10 yrs ago) I got permission from a lady to share these photos, showing a retic with IBD displaying the inability to hold itself properly (so sad) she had him euthanized and tested positive for IBD

I thought it would be a good place to share the pics.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesrains View Post
I dont know if you are accusing me of posting this as my own, but
Im not. Its just something I found and thought it might be helpful to post it.
Nope, not at all. It says copyright Melissa Kraplan right on it. No worries on your part.

It goes WAY WAY back, so I'll just leave it at that so as not to mess up the thread more then I have. Suffice it to say, I'm one of those who April mentioned. LOL

The link April provided is a good one. There is also a link in the Boa forum posted as a sticky at the top with useful info title veterinary pathology.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Bluesrains
The poor snake...its good to post pics, so others will know what to look for if their snake/snakes are sick.
I hope I never see this in my animals!! Im looking to read more about this virus.
If anyone has a good link or two, please share!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
a while back (over 10 yrs ago) I got permission from a lady to share these photos, showing a retic with IBD displaying the inability to hold itself properly (so sad) she had him euthanized and tested positive for IBD

I thought it would be a good place to share the pics.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Bluesrains
Re

You know after I sent the post, I realized it had the copyright on it....dah.....guess I need more coffee.
Thanks for explaining...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Nope, not at all. It says copyright Melissa Kraplan right on it. No worries on your part.

It goes WAY WAY back, so I'll just leave it at that so as not to mess up the thread more then I have.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!