Looking to get a monitor. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 02:40 AM   #1
evolpaige@gmail.com
Looking to get a monitor.

I have a friend who owns a black throat that's approximately 3 ft STL, and I really like him, so much so that I am considering getting my own monitor. However, I am looking at smaller species like Timor and Ackies, which do you think is better for a first time monitor owner? I have only had geckos and frogs so far, and I understand the housing and maintenance needs of both, but which do you think is better temperament wise?

Old 05-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Offkillter1
The only thing I can suggest is to read,read,read.Watch all the videos you can on the monitors you have interest in and after awhile you'll figure out what fits your life the best.I spent months learning before I made a purchase and it was time well spent.I personally purchased a Savannah monitor and couldn't be happier,she is an amazing animal.What ever you choose be prepared for all the care (food lodging etc.) that comes with raising your monitor.Good luck.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Millinex
Ackies are going to be easier and more rugged and forgiving of many beginner mistakes. That certainly doesn't mean it's easy, and they don't require much. It will take lots of reading, time, and of course money either way.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
Dana C
I have had Tegus for a few years on and off but I fell in love with the notion of having a Black Throat. I read everything in print, on the net, a hundred or more posts on the various forums and decided I could do it. On March 7, I got Kinabo. He is just under a year old and already 44".
I guess the attractive thing about V. ionidesi is their temperament generally. Mine was no exception. While he hisses when I do something he doesn't like and once in a great while tail whips, he is pretty easy to get along with. I can pick at his sheds, wipe his mount after he eats and when out, he will often walk up my leg and lay on my belly and chest.
They can eat what you will think are impossible amounts of food and their growth spurts will make it seem like you have a different lizard today than you had yesterday. They like a hot spot as in 135f or so and contrary to what some keepers will tell you, like moisture. Mine loves his bath twice a week.

Mind you they can crap as much as they can eat. They need big caging and a lot of socialization if you want your lizard to be tame.
I am not sorry I got Kinabo and would recommend Black Throats highly. Just because they are huge, doesn't mean you can't start with one.....at least in my opinion.

Good luck finding a hatchling or anything less than a yearling. Tanzania stopped all animal exports and as far as I know there aren't any clutches in the US. Of course I could and actually hope I am wrong about CB American Black Throats.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!