Avulsion on a Ball Python - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
Tere Salazar
That looks SO much better. In the first pics, the part that was removed looks like a gaping hole, rather than just missing skin. Whew. I bet you're incredibly relieved.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Helenthereef
Good news!

I cannot see how people can do this - especially continuing to pull off tape when they see what is happening....(if that is what happened, but I can't see her doing this to herself).

Well done with the rescue, and hope she continues to improve for you.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
rowselki
Well the saga continues with this little girl. On Sunday she started displaying signs of an RI and by the end of the day had a good amount of mucus in her mouth. I double checked all my temps and cranked the heat a bit. Monday she seemed about the same but somewhat swollen like she was going to poo soon, didn't look to unusual. Tuesday she was rather bloated looking and by Tuesday evening it was clear something was wrong. She was literally inflated like a balloon. I tried soaking her in he's it would help her "deflate" but it didn't seem to help at all. Plus she was so bloated she was floating in the water.

So today its back to the vets for bad news. The vet agreed that she was very bloated and attempted a fecal sample, but couldn't get one with the usual manual manipulation. He inserted a probe into the snakes vent and tried again this time he got "severe diarrhea" which he examined under the microscope. He came back and told me it was basically red blood cells and stomach material and this was life threatening.

On or first visit she was given some Flagyl for "a very small quantity of a very common protozoa in ball pythons". The theory is getting rid of the parasites upset the balance in her gut and existing bacteria took over. She dropped in weight from 415 grams on Friday to 375 today.

She was given an injection of Fortaz (antibiotic) and a fluid pack injection to help hydrate her. I have a follow up on Friday and till then I'm to keep her in an 85-90 degree temp range, give daily soaking and hope for the best.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Spyral
Any update?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #15
rowselki
Sorry for the delay in an update. Since my last update we've had an appt last Friday and another today. Friday her weight was steady at 375 grams so they gave her another injection of fluids and cleaned out her mouth. They gave me a total of 3 shots of Fortaz to give her one every 72 hours and asked me to bring her back today for another check up. Today was good news, she looks nice and hydrated and is back up to 392 grams. There is much less mucus in her mouth and her tape wound is healing nicely.

I have one more injection to give her and then another follow up on Friday to make sure she's out of the woods. She's still bloated but not nearly as much and still hasn't passed anything (not looking forward to the smell when she finally does). I'm cautiously hopeful at this point

Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #16
Helenthereef
She's very lucky you got her and are prepared to go to such lengths. Hope she continues to do well for you.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #17
rowselki
Thought I'd post another update for everyone. She seems to be doing better over all, starting to get active again, but still not interested in food. The intial tape wound is looking good and I'm posting a few photos so you can see the progress. The bloating issue "resolved" itself today, so thats another problem off the list.

The RI is the last thing I'm concerned about. We're still doing Fortaz injections every 72 hours but her mouth seems to be slowly clearing up.

Thats about it for now.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #18
rowselki
Posting another update in hopes sharing info will help someone else...

I left town a few weeks back and didn't have anyone that was comfortable giving the snake her antibiotic injection so I figured what the heck and decided to board her at the vets office while I was away. When I dropped her off she was looking good and getting pretty active again. When I picked her up she looked terrible. She dropped to 300 grams while I was gone and the vet said the infection seemed to make a raging comeback.

She was started on Amikacin and sent home with pipettes to clear her trachea as she had aspirated mucus while being boarded. Obviously not what I wanted to come home to.

I'm soaking her 2-3 times daily and cleaning her mouth about the same. Last vet visit was on Monday and she's looking better again, back up to 345 grams and less mucus in her mouth. This evening I noticed she was REALLY struggling to breath, open mouth and trachea but no air movement and she was obviously straining. I pulled a good amount of very thick glue like mucus out of her trachea (clogged 3 pipettes in the process) and then she was able to breath again.

I've been watching her since and haven't really seen any mouth breathing so lets hope I'm about to see the light at the end of the tunnel here as I'm getting tired of snake snot

Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
rowselki
Time for the update I didn't think I was going to have to write. My snake passed away last night. She had been doing better and was active and even putting on weight again. I'm really not quite sure what happened obviously but I dont think it was from her RI.

If you've been following the thread you know she had some 'severe life threating' diarrhea according to the doc. I thought that had all passed when she was able to pass all the gas and bloating issues were resolved a few weeks back. Somewhere around Wednesday she started getting bloated again but not as bad as the first time. Friday she attempted a bowel movement but ended up only getting rid of all the bloating and leaving a very large hard mass right above her cloaca as if she was unable to pass it. I gave her a warm soak for a few hours and by Saturday morning she had passed it. She definetly looked dehydrated from the ordeal so back to more soaking and by Sunday she was looking better again.

I went in this morning to get her for our weekly vet appt and she had passed away during the night. I did notice she had also defecated twice last night. Nothing of real substance but you could tell from the stains on the paper towels a good amount of fluid was passed. Not sure what the hell happened but I can't imagine it was from her RI as her mouth was SO much clearer in the last few days than it had previously been. I honestly thought we were out of the woods (again).

Old 11-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
npatrick89
Im so sorry to hear about your loss your snake was very lucky to have such a dedicated owner.
I stumbled across this thread while reading about RIs... We were recently hit by hurricane Sandy in my area and caused us to loose power for a week...I tried everything I could to keep my collection as warm as possible but there was only so much I could do. One of my youngest (4 months old) seemed to be acting odd last week and i checked his mouth (no bubbles or snot) but he seemed to be struggling to breathe, and immediatly made a vet appointment for fear of a RI due to the low temps... Unfortunalty the little guy didnt pull threw for me... Its very upsetting to see them go through so much and not pull threw.
Once again I'm terribly sorry for your loss

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!