Firebelly? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-03-2004, 12:44 AM   #21
DavidButton
Lostandconfused,
You truely are lost on the location of the Firebelly boas. The come from the island of Roatan like several people said. That island is located off the coast of Honduras in a chain of islands called "Islas De La Bahia". There is no island called Bahia. Here is a map to help with any confusion. I was recently sent a PM from Benjamin Cole of BCHerps who informed me that he had sold Dennis back a trio of fire bellies and that he (Dennis) would have babies available in the spring. As to te availability and price of these babies, I would expect then to range from 1 to 2 thousand each. There is also another person who bought a trio of Ben Cole's collection of Firebellies so there will probably be other specimen available soon from that individual.
I personally have been doing extensive research into this sub-species of BCI island boas for the last year and am planning on purchasing at least a pair to start off with. They are my holy grail of boas and I am on a quest!
There are some mainland honduran boas that show characteristics simular to the Roatan island boas, but there are some differences in size and coloration that make the island variety unmistakeable. For anyone who is looking to aquire some, HAPPY HUNTING.
Oh yea, the island has been closed to any kind of flora or fauna collecting since 1993 so wild caught specimens are out. I had gotten so far as to look into going to the island to collect my own boas before I found this out. They ahve some really nice resorts on the island too. DAMMIT!

David

Old 12-03-2004, 12:47 AM   #22
DavidButton
Well something went wrong with the upload. SO here is a link to the map.

http://www.thealbinoboa.com/gallerie...s-map-1204.jpg

David

Old 12-03-2004, 12:51 AM   #23
DavidButton
dammit, I can't edit my posts!
Anyways, make sure and hold your mouse over the map until the little icon appears at the bottom right that allows you to expant it to it's fullsize. Then you will be able to see the island better. SOrry for all these posts, but without editing abilities and it being late at night, well you know the rest.

David

Old 12-03-2004, 12:52 AM   #24
LOSTNCONFUSED
Thank You David For Clearing That Up When I Purchased My First Trio From Dennis About 4 Years Ago In Daytona He Called Them Bahia Island Fire Bellies So I Assumed There Was An Island By That Name As Well As Rotan And Wow I Must Have Really Gotten A Good Deal Because I Didnt Even Come Close To Paying That For The Whole Trio I Myself Love Them And Am Looking To Get My Hands On Another Trio To Replace The Ones That My Old Partner Made Off With So Untill Then I Guess My Mainland Female Will Have To Do

Old 12-03-2004, 02:20 AM   #25
robin d.
crap the last time i saw rotans for sale they were in the $300-$400 range for babies. but thats been a longgggg time ago
2 -3 grand for an island form of bci? crap i wont spend that for one snakes no matter how much i like them. most i have spent is $700 damn how prices increace with the *new* demand of locality boas or maybe just the fact they have so much color appeals to the morphers

Old 12-03-2004, 03:23 AM   #26
DavidButton
I think that you misread my post. I said in the 1 to 2 thousand dollar range. And this price was one that I was told about what was paid for adults not babies. So I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens in the spring. Hell, they are all high to me. I started keeping snakes in '74 and things sure have changed since then. Check out some of the prices on these old S.W. Fla Herp Society news letters, Which were sent out by our secretary, Dennis Sargent, from back in '80-'81. Rainbow boas for $20.00 etc. Makes me long for the old days of snakes being sold by the foot and not the color. But then again we didn't have the wide variety of morphs that are available today.

http://www.thealbinoboa.com/gallerie...ro%20Herp.html

I found these news letters on a recent trip to my parents house while I was sorting through some old boxes. Sure brought back some good memories.

David

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!