Klingenberg verse Sears - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-16-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
Metachrosis
Question Klingenberg verse Sears

Why the hype on the Klingenberg line over the Sears line Hog Islands ?
Ive seen plenty of data but still unclear on the "hype"
I have F1 and F2 Sears line(s) and either of their worst totally smokes the Klingenberg stuff.

Wheres the part Im missing here ?

M/

Old 09-16-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
JCCS
You are not missing anything, it is just a bloodline that not many people have heard of. Pretty neat to get some sorta unrelated stuff. THey can't all be Sear's line. The looks of these animals should not be important IMO, just the purity.

Chris Canada-Smith

Old 09-16-2006, 11:42 PM   #3
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS
The looks of these animals should not be important IMO, just the purity.
Chris Canada-Smith
Hmmmm, I don't know about that part. I am certainly open to crossing lines (Sears, Lemke, Rio Bravo, whoever), but only with animals I like the looks of...
or those that I think will improve the quality/looks of the offspring produced.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:57 PM   #4
Metachrosis
Might as well put Lemke in there as well .........
Is it just the "name dropping"thing or do those other strains command a higher price for a reason ?

M/
(bored)

Old 09-17-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
Metachrosis
Yup ! Cuttingedge and Riobravo (should have anyway) have the F1/F2 Sears strain in their groups.As to whether they have crossed the lines to produce what they have,or whether they both colored inside the lines is for them to disclose I guess. Just reading Sale ads etc that air some kinda exclusivity of sorts ????

Reading this ................
http://tinyurl.com/5blpe

I think would change who really has F1 Hog Islands
Doubt that it would keep people from the "Hogg" label,then again most arent much smarter then what their selling. LOL!!Best I understand is in order to "name" a strain there has to be something exclusive to your product correct ?

M/

Old 09-17-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Hmmmm, I don't know about that part. I am certainly open to crossing lines (Sears, Lemke, Rio Bravo, whoever),
I don't believe Chris was referring to the purity of the lines but the purity of the Hog Island itself, meaning no crosses with BCI or BCC in it's ancestry.
Chris, like myself, considers the Hogs to be seperate from the mainland BCI depsite the fact they hold the same taxonomic designation, and are worthy of keeping pure in their own right.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
hhmoore
I did have Lemke in there.

It isn't so much a name dropping thing, as a reference to stock origins. Sears, Lemke, et al recognized the beauty of Hog Island boas, acquired pure stock, and bred them true (no crossing to other BCI). At the time that the Hog Island boas were heavily collected/imported, they were just nice, light colored boas and not alot of thought was given to maintaining them as a separate population...heck, who would have thought that the islands native population would have been so decimated by collecting in such a relatively short time.
Back to the initial question, Sears line hogs should be considered to be the product of Sears x Sears...therefore, not only pure hog island, but true to that particular line. (unfortunately, I think that those names are sometimes just tacked on because they are recognized and attributed to a certain degree of quality). Also, there seems to be a degree of difference between the various lines, but I wouldn't guarantee origin by appearance alone.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:31 AM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
I don't believe Chris was referring to the purity of the lines but the purity of the Hog Island itself, meaning no crosses with BCI or BCC in it's ancestry.
Chris, like myself, considers the Hogs to be seperate from the mainland BCI depsite the fact they hold the same taxonomic designation, and are worthy of keeping pure in their own right.
Understood, and agreed - but the part of my post that followed the piece you quoted was actually referencing Chris' comment that looks of the animal shouldn't be important, just the purity.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:11 AM   #9
JCCS
Hi Harald, My comments about the animals looks is based on my opinion, as evidenced by the IMO. I breed my animals to get as close to the wild population appearance as possible. I think that if everone breeding for the clean, high colored hogs is just as bad as crossing them. That is just my opinion and breeding practice. I think some of the selectively bred Hogs are gorgeous, but they are not in my breeding plans. I somehow knew that comment might just stir a pot, alot of my opinions are against the grain. Oh well.

Clay, exactly right, we have had that discussion many times. As harald said, the name associated with a boa is not brand designed to make the animals higher just by mentioning it, but a sort of tracking device making it easier to trace the animals history. The heightened price of these animals is reflective of the extra work in researching their history and the increasing rarity of pure blooded, legally imported (there were a number imported recently as Nicaraguans) Hog Islands.

Chris Canada-Smith

Old 09-17-2006, 02:35 AM   #10
hhmoore
Chris - you know I respect your opinions...and we aren't really in disagreement. You breed for "wild type", so you are still going for a certain look. While I am starting to appreciate some of the cleaner, brighter hogs, my preference still runs toward the more "normal" appearance...truer to wild type, if you will, lol. I still like my hogs to have speckles; in fact, I have turned down some good deals on some very nice animals because they were too lightly specked. I do have a female that just doesn't quite have the tail coloration I like, whether she stays with me will depend on what her offspring look like - I have a male Sears line with a comparably bold pattern, but a nicer tail set aside just for her. If I'm not thrilled with the babies, I will likely sell her and replace her with either a Lemke or Rio Bravo.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!