Prices raised on Bumese pythons? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
bkline
I have a few burm breeders and a few breeders held back as well. This bam is cutting me back. Basically it means I'll be doing more reptile shows and less shipping. I hope steve is right and lucys price drops like crazy as I would love a nice little colony

Old 01-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkline View Post
Basically it means I'll be doing more reptile shows and less shipping.
You would only be able to bring burms to a show in your home state and only sell them to people that also live in your home state.
The market for burms has now been shrunken severely.
Eventually people are going to run out of people to sell to in their own state. If you live in PA, you can only bring them to a PA show and sell to a PA resident. That severely limits the market for a breeder. If there are several breeders in the state, it's going to be even harder to make a sale.
Personally, I see this as the beginning of the end for the burm market which is exactly what HSUS is looking for. I also think this is just the first step. States are targeting exotics at an alarming rate. I think the goal of no one being allowed to own any animals is gaining traction. This was just the first step on one crappy ladder.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
You would only be able to bring burms to a show in your home state and only sell them to people that also live in your home state.
The market for burms has now been shrunken severely.
Eventually people are going to run out of people to sell to in their own state. If you live in PA, you can only bring them to a PA show and sell to a PA resident. That severely limits the market for a breeder. If there are several breeders in the state, it's going to be even harder to make a sale.
Personally, I see this as the beginning of the end for the burm market which is exactly what HSUS is looking for. I also think this is just the first step. States are targeting exotics at an alarming rate. I think the goal of no one being allowed to own any animals is gaining traction. This was just the first step on one crappy ladder.
But.... he would no longer have to compete with anyone from out of state. You want a Burm, your getting it from a breeder at a show and paying his price. A guy half way across the country will no longer be setting your price. Someone can't say " The guy on KS is only asking....".

Old 01-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
BURMTIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
But.... he would no longer have to compete with anyone from out of state. You want a Burm, your getting it from a breeder at a show and paying his price. A guy half way across the country will no longer be setting your price. Someone can't say " The guy on KS is only asking....".
Good point, because right there at a show you have to pay what the breeder is asking. Where else are you going to find that certain snake right there infront of you. ..... Not online.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #15
garweft
And..... you'll most likely have to buy from someone who is actually breeding them. You can't buy them wholesale from out of state to resell, the inability to wholesale across the country will severely reduce the number of people willing to produce large amounts of Burms.

The market will should look more like that for indigo snakes, but at a little lower price point, maybe $300 for normals or albinos. It will take a few years to get there, but IMHO that's where it will be going.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #16
garweft
If I liked big snakes I'd be picking up a few myself.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #17
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
I think the goal of no one being allowed to own any animals is gaining traction.
I see your point, but I think exotics are an easier target than some of the common domestic pets. I think some pets such as dogs will be a much more difficult challenge to any group whose goal is the eradication of animal ownership. Companies like Purina, and the corn growers who sell to pet food companies (lower grade dog foods contain lots of corn which is a huge markup when sold as dog food) have plenty of money to lobby and pay off any potential threats to their profits.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
NIGRO51
No one will ever try to ban dog ownership.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
dustinntech
I bet it's on the HSUS agenda to eventually ban dog ownership or maybe they'll get away with it by saying you can't transport them across state lines.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #20
RoadHouse of Retics
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGRO51 View Post
No one will ever try to ban dog ownership.
Aren't pitbulls banned in Colorado? Which is why I will NEVER live there!!!!

I think those that are raising prices on burms aren't making out so well. Reason being, those that want or are considering getting a burm will be more hesitant to buy because they know the resale will be limited to there own state if things dont work out as expected. Also with the economy being how it is I don't think anyone is willing to pay extra for anything. If the ban does go into effect burm prices will drop drastically the week before the deadline.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!