need help finding a wild rat snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-28-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
ilovesnakes
Red face need help finding a wild rat snake

hi,everyone i am looking for a rat snake in southeast florida can anyone give me tips on finding ones i wanted to ask one more question what rat snakes can i find in southeast snake!

it would be great help if you could reply

oh,and thanks for reading this

Old 07-28-2005, 09:17 PM   #2
ilovesnakes
Red face

please!

Old 07-29-2005, 01:42 AM   #3
Karen Hulvey
I've never herped in Florida but I do know that the red rat snake a.k.a. corn snake is native to your state. You can do a Google search and find out what snakes are native to your area. There is probably even a book out with the species native to Florida in it. I have The Repitles and Amphibians of Missouri book which is an excellent book.

When I go herping, I generally pick a road with very few houses on it and lots of trees & fields around it. I drive the road very slowly at night and catch snakes like that. I take a few pictures and turn them loose.

You can also go into fields & in the woods and around old houses and look under rocks, in nooks & crannies and under tin, etc. for snakes. If you go turning over rocks and things, please put them back exactly like you found them. It's bad to destroy herp habitat because they have so little of it left.

Good luck in field herping. It's fun.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
ilovesnakes
Talking thank you so much!

thank you so much thanks for the advice .I do have a book of reptiles and amphibians of america and saids that i could find a corn snake in florida my friend has his house near a forest he has found many snakes such as corn snakes ringnecks and king snakes . theres not many forests near me but there is about two.do you think karen i could find a ratsnake in a pine forest? well,anyways thanx for replying . and thanx again.also do you reccomend any herp books for florida if so please reply back

Old 11-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
Bahamut
I lived in the St. Cloud area for 7 years and the two types of rat snakes I found there were the red rat (corn) snake and the yellow rat snake, as well as black racers, scarlet snakes, water snakes, etc. I often found them around areas were stuff had been dumped on the side of the road (by some of the local neanderthals, I presume), and also by driving the roads at night. yellow rats will even frequent areas of human habitation if noone kills them off, so keep an eye peeled wherever you go!

Old 11-08-2005, 09:21 AM   #6
bobbyvon
rat snakes

You have,yellows,reds,kings,scarlets,ribbons,greens,wa ters,pines,hog noses,racers ,ring necks,and the list goes on and on..all depends on what part of the state your in.And as far as catching them it all depends on the weather.If its hot out you find cool spots,and if its cold you find warm spots and so on

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!