victor greyhawk - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-29-2002, 04:26 AM   #1
caseynd
Question victor greyhawk

any one ever buy any of his snakes or know him i'm thinking of buying one of his fixed snakes..
thanks
casey christensen

Old 12-29-2002, 11:10 AM   #2
Jason LeMay
Thumbs up

I would not hesitate to buy from victor,ive known him for 15 years and nhe has the best snakes,not only that but hes the first to have suscesfully done the venomoid suregury 30 years ago,have of my collection was once his and they are still doing great.So you dont have to worry about some wanna be surgeon hacking up a fresh wc snake that probaly still has its secondaries and still hurt you.He also will not fix or sell a snake untill its proven that theyll take f/t food regularly.

Jason LeMay

Old 12-29-2002, 12:15 PM   #3
gila7150
Quote:
So you dont have to worry about some wanna be surgeon hacking up a fresh wc snake
So is Victor Greyhalk an actual veterinary surgeon?
Chris Raden

Old 01-12-2003, 08:37 PM   #4
vettesherps
Greyhawk

I am currently looking at one of Greyhawks business cards. It says MVS (master of veterinary surgery) behind his name. I currently have 2 WDBs that he has fixed and they have become 2 of my favorite animals. You can not imagine how handlable a WDB can become when it is exposed to human contact daily. Mr Greyhawk has explained the process to me several times and in MHO it is foolproof. As for the often asked question about it hampering their growth, all I can say is my 2 babies are every bit as big as my friends WDB that is the same age and not altered. All of my experiences with Greyhawk have been freindly and informative, with Greyhawk explaining and answering all of my questions.

PS I am still planning on getting a Gabby or Rhino and having Greyhawk fix it also.

George Gunther

Old 01-12-2003, 08:52 PM   #5
gila7150
Quote:
I am still planning on getting a Gabby or Rhino and having Greyhawk fix it also.
Do the snakes realize they're broken?

I guess if someone is interested in mutilating a snake because they are unwilling to acquire the skills to safely work with them, an MVS would be better than your average redneck with a steak knife.
It's a shame that someone would have such a lack of respect for the animals they keep but at least an MVS should be able to perform this completely unnecessary procedure properly.
Chris Raden

Old 01-13-2003, 12:04 AM   #6
JasonBrennan
Quote:
So is Victor Greyhalk an actual veterinary surgeon?
Quote:
I am currently looking at one of Greyhawks business cards. It says MVS (master of veterinary surgery) behind his name.
So, is the answer to the question a yes or a no? Is MVS an actual title, or one that he made up? I have never heard of that, only DVM. Then agian, I have never felt the need to butcher a snake just so I could keep something that I was afraid of. So maybe I don't need to know a MVS.

Jason Brennan

Old 01-13-2003, 12:34 AM   #7
WebSlave
Please note that this is not the place for an ethical dialog on venomoid operations. This is someone asking about recommendations of the person in the topic line. There are other areas on this site where ethics and venomoids can be discussed, and you are encouraged to move such discussions there.

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2003, 01:09 AM   #8
JasonBrennan
Sorry Webslave, you are absolutely right. I actually forgot which part of the site I was on when I typed that!!! Won't happen agian.

Jason Brennan

Old 01-13-2003, 07:25 AM   #9
gila7150
Jason, a MVS is an actual title. I am not aware if the person in question holds this title.

Webslave, I apologize for taking this inquiry off topic.
Chris Raden

Old 01-13-2003, 07:29 AM   #10
vettesherps
Greyhawk

I forwarded the link to Greyhawk. This is his response.

The link is interesting. Perhaps I should reply. By the way, "MVS" stands for Master Venomiod Surgeon. Been doing it since the mid-60's. My techniques were developed along with pioneering surgery by the late Emil Rokoski of Lincoln Park Zoo and later Director of the Racine Zoo. We had been friends for many years. Later, new developments in scarless technique, safe anesthetics, proper soluble sutures for use with reptiles, antibiotics tolerated well by reptiles etc. were mutually shared with the late James Glenn of the large Veterans Administration Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Jim was head of the Venom Lab. Perhaps you will recall that Jim was the one who applied the technique of venomoid
surgery to the entire poisonous snake collection of the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City. Their Director was killed by the bite of
a large Puff Adder. The best medical treatment was immediately available but applied to no avail. Since then several keepers have been bitten with no negative results other than puncture wounds. As with any puncture wound there
is a chance of infection along with mechanical damage. First aid for puncture wounds is all that's necessary. I have taught the technique to several Veterinarians over the years.

Sorry about my error pertaining to MVS. I just wanted to clarify.

George

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!