Eastern DiamondBack Rattlesnake's - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-19-2015, 04:31 PM   #101
TOsage
I can agree to disagree Barry but the name calling is unnecessary. As I said, nothing personal. You may not believe it but my intent in posting my opinion was to assure any young or inexperience person who came along this thread would be able to read both sides before attempting to handle hots. I cherish my venomous collection so much that I would not risk a bite and the potential of having family and friends on me to get rid of them. I understand risking your life but I don't want to risk my hobby. There is no need to free handle venomous snakes, it's no more enjoyable than any other snake, pretty much the same although all species and individuals have their own quirks. There is never a good reason to have any part of your body within the striking distance of a venomous snake. Any time a venomous snake has an opportunity to bite it's because the handler is taking an unnecessary risk and intentionally putting his/her life in danger. We can argue all day whether that decision is stupid or not, it depends on your personal priorities and how much value you give your life/well-being. But I doubt anyone could make a convincing argument as to why someone should free handle venomous snakes. So Barry, what is the point of this thread? Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just curious.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #102
Lucille
Tony, let's de escalate this thread. I don't think it was appropriate for you to tell the OP that you hope he gets bitten. That is very different from the preceding opinions about free handling which we all have a right to our opinions. You obviously feel strongly about the subject, as do I.

I have no reason to believe the OP has lied about his bite. I could go one about how that should have taught him, but it obviously has not, so all I can say is that I don't think free handling is wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOsage View Post
So Barry, what is the point of this thread?
I'd be interest in his answer, but I personally feel he simply enjoys the attention.

Similar thread:http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...=534398&page=2

Old 12-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #103
TOsage
Thanks Lucille, I will take your advice and this will be my final post on this thread. Just to clarify I believe I said it would be in the best interest of the hobby if he were to get bitten, it would decrease the risk of someone getting the idea that venomous snakes can be safely free handled. Better than a thread filled with only positive accounts of free handling venomous snakes all the time with nary a problem. But that's just my opinion and I can see that being construed as my wanting him to get bit so I apologize to Barry if it was taken that way. I'm sorry if I implied question of his previous bite account but people do frequently lie about these thing and it was really hard for me to believe that someone who had experienced envenomation in the past would continue to practice unquestionably unsafe handling of venomous snakes.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #104
54bogger
Thanks for the apology, there's no hard feeling's on my part.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #105
54bogger
Older pic of Sweetpea.... ENJOY!

Old 12-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #106
54bogger
Old pic of Temprence.....ENJOY!

Old 12-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #107
54bogger
Pic of when I first started holding Sweetpea....... Enjoy!

Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #108
HerpEnthusiast3
I understand being passionate and wanting to intimitley understand the animals we work with but since you are knowledgable about the species in question ( beautiful animals by the way) why do you free handle? I'll leave my opinion completely out of it since there seems to be enough opinions here. I'm truly curious to my core. Once you've gained the animals trust and can free handle..... What then.... And why? Please don't see this as me questioning your practices I really am just curious.

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Old 08-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #109
54bogger
I have posted many pics of me holding my venomous snakes, now here's a pic of the consequences of free handling. You have to be willing to pay the price and this is the second and LAST time I'll pay this price.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #110
54bogger
This happened on june 28 of this year, I was in the hospital until july 27th. For just over 2 weeks I was in a coma and the doctors told my family they weren't sure if I'd live. In fact one doctor told my family that I was in the process of dying. My lungs filled with fluid and pneumonia set in,I contracted mersa, I was bleeding in my stomach, my blood coagulated and my kidneys shut down. After I came too the doctor told me quote "we didn't save your life,we did all that we could do,it was the Lord who saved you".
Life is to short and precious and the price is to high for me to continue on freehandling venomous snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!