Requesting assistance from the Herper community in Florida - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
kristina 33713
Requesting assistance from the Herper community in Florida

I discovered a snake under my house this weekend. I believe it is a Burmese Python although I'm not 100% - I have a picture if someone wants to confirm. I was referred to this forum to find local people that may be interested in rescuing this snake. I know its an invasive species and I'm afraid if I call the authorities they will destroy it. I'm not that comfortable with snakes and REALLY want it out from under my house, but I'd hate to see it killed. Also don't want it to eat the neighbors dog.

I'm in the Tampa Bay area...specifically St Petersburg. I've called the snake rescues in the area (that I could find) and most of them are no longer valid numbers.

If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it it. It appears to be about 6 feet long and I'm about 60% sure on the species (thank you discovery channel).

Kristina

Old 05-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
kristina 33713
Correction: Its in not a Burmese Python...It is a Boa Constrictor - I'm about 95% sure of this, found some really good pictures on-line that look just like this one.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #3
~Just Curious~
Wish I could do more!

Hello, I'm the one that recommended you this site on Y!A. I would help you myself if I could, but I'm on the whole other side of the country. I really hope you can find an experienced person close enough and willing to help you out.
Now that you suspect it's a boa you could probably move this to that section for some better advice. There's also an adoption section for animals in need of homes, but I'm not entirely sure if it's fitting to post a "wild" one for capture there instead of a pet for pick-up....

To get your message out more, there's a website that deals primarily with boas called Redtailboa.net
I'm not that familiar with it, but it's suposed to be pretty good. They have a "Help Me" section and also a "Rescue" section.

Then of course there's always Craigslist, though if boas are illegal in your area then you probably don't want to be posting about it. I'm not familiar with your state's laws, but it doesn't seem to be a "Reptile of Concern" and I don't think they're banned, especially since this one's under 8 feet. I'm no good at following along on which laws are which, but if they're okay to own without a permit then it should make your search much easier than if it was really a burm.
Craigslist has a lot of "Found animal" and "Free to good home" ads. They have a section for the Tampa Bay area I'm pretty sure and under "Community" there's a section for pets. Perhaps you can put out a message saying you're looking for contact info for a local reptile rescue, or you can send out the same message you are now - that you need a boa removed from your house. Try to make sure they have experience with boas or at least larger snakes if you can and that they can care for it. I'm not really sure what goes into that kind of rehabilitation, but I'm pretty sure it'll need to be treated for parasites at least. Hopefully it's healthy.

I already checked your area for some local reptile rescues, you're right about a lot of those numbers being expired, their websites are too....I've found several trappers, but I'm under the impression that they euthanize them afterwards.

If it's any bit reassuring at all, know that I highly doubt it even could eat your neighbor's dog. Honestly I don't think it's a threat to you, your family, or pets. I'm sure they're nocturnal like most snakes and I know they prefer to just hide. Boas are normally docile and I don't think he'd go out of his way to bother anyone if left alone.
Still best to play it safe, I think that you should just give your neighbor a warning to keep an eye on her dog the dog until this clears up. Make sure it doesn't get under your house or near the area where you saw it. It's unlikely, but there's no need to tempt fate.

Really sorry I couldn't help more. Best of luck to you, I've got my fingers crossed! Hopefully someone turns up and it goes to a good home!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
~Just Curious~
Red face Best of luck to you

So sorry for the late reply! For some reason, your email went to my spam/junk folder. So thank you for keeping me posted, I wish I saw it sooner!

It's too bad that they were unable to catch it...

Please keep me updated on if it has fled or not.
If it did move on, I hope it ends up at someone who is as caring as you when it comes to animals. You don't have to like them to not want them to be killed.

Again wish I could have helped some more and I hope things work out.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
kristina 33713
I think it has move on...no one has seen it since that weekend. I live in a pretty large city and someone else pointed out the traffic issue and I know that would be an issuer. I hope someone else finds it and gets it properly relocated.

Thanks for your interest!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
florida, python, tampa