Housing multiple leo geckos together - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
forgivenick1
Housing multiple leo geckos together

What is your experience and/or opinion on housing multiple leos together?

I want to know specifics about your view on

1) hatchlings: do the pros of housing clutch mates (and additional hatchlings?) together, outweigh the risks of competition, possibility of nips, etc?
2) sub-adults: since they are not quite mature, is there a benefit to housing them together to free up other enclosure space and allow sharing of other resources?
3) adults: Is the colony approach beneficial enough for good for socialization, mating with 1 male to many females, and sharing of resources to outweigh the risks of competition, fighting, lack of specific knowledge on feeder consumption per individual, fecal regularity per individual, etc?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
forgivenick1
Anyone?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
defcon222
1) I house all my hatching individually. I don't have to watch out for bullies and it's easier to see who's been eating. I will on occasion put siblings together, but it's usually because I've run out of clean tubs; once I clean them, they all go alone.

2) Same as above, although the clean tub scenario isn't really an issue here.

3) I house a few pairs together for the entire breeding season, but I also rotate through a male and house them all individually after the first month of the breeding season.

Overall, I find that it's easier to keep an eye on them when they're alone. Most of mine are pretty aggressive eaters, so I also avoid the nips/fights housing them individually. I find the leos to be a little more territoral/tempermental than my cresteds and gargs, who are usually paired up year round with no issues.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
forgivenick1
Thank you Nathaniel. Seems like very logical methods. I have been housing all of mine separately, but have often wondered about the success others have when housing individuals together.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
GreenTreePython13
1) I've done both, but if I have the space to do separate housing, I always choose that. I do though try to feed them separately always. This avoids fights, accidental bite (hey that trembling tail looks like food!) and that way I can see who is eating what and how much.

2) Same as above. The subs though I'm constantly looking for signs of territory or other disputes. I don't house males together ever, though, once they graduate from the baby stage. Hot females are the same.

3) Females I house together if space is an issue, but again, will feed separately with live prey if I can. Males are never together. A pair I put together only if I'm prepared for a breeding, even if I'm not trying for one. If the female is an adult but I'm not comfortable with her weight and carrying a clutch, then she won't be with a male. And I do feed separately when it comes to live prey. I usually have a bowl of dried crickets and meal worms in the cage, but if I bring in live or f/t pinkies during breeding season, they are separated.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
forgivenick1
Thanks Stacy. Whats the duration that you keep them separate for feeding? An hour, longer, shorter? Thanks again.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Ed Clark
Have always kept all my leos housed individually in 6 or 15 qt tubs in heated racks,it eliminates alot of guess work about who is eating,you also don't get the fighting and nips that you do in groups.

They are more relaxed alone not moving about alot and that seems to help them stay robust and maintain fat reserves.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
forgivenick1
Thanks Ed!

Old 08-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
hadenglock
I agree with ed, keeping them in groups leaves too much to question, how much each one is eating, prevents nipping/aggression, reduces stress, etc.....

Old 08-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
GreenTreePython13
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgivenick1 View Post
Thanks Stacy. Whats the duration that you keep them separate for feeding? An hour, longer, shorter? Thanks again.
It all depends on the individual. Generally I'd do until the prey is gone, since I portion out the meals to be enough for one gecko to eat in one sitting (so generally about 8-10 crickets, although others may do different amounts and different frequencies). I do similar if I'm using mealworms.

Generally with hatchlings though, I do the same as above for crickets, but I try to get them to take a mealworm or two from tongs, so that later on in their lives, they will associate tongs with food if I need to change their diet or something.

If I'm feeding them mice I normally put them in different containers and feed each one pinky and wait about ten minute after until I put them back together, just so they realize they aren't getting more.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!