Black rat snake hatchling story - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
773Shaggy
Black rat snake hatchling story

Long story, somewhat shortened:
In July, we were host to a nice looking Eastern Black Rat snake (Pantherophis alleghaniensis). To our surprise, a few days later, she laid a clutch of ten eggs in her temporary quarters. We feed and released her, since she's obviously doing something right
We set up a sketch incubator (moist moss in a box in a closet, checked frequently) and to our surprise again, all ten pipped when the time time came. I set up temporary quarters for the lot of them. After some evaluations, I released two, then two more. The most feisty ones were released, figure they would stand a best chance. A few more are on-deck to be released soon. There's a couple more I'm evaluating for pet potential, with at least three strong prospects. So far, all have shed and eaten at least one pinky, most have had two feedings. That makes me feel good - that nature can survive even me not having experience in this realm. It's been very educational for the kids too.
I am guessing at care standards here, since I can't find a really good Black Rat care sheet. I plan on an enclosure with lots of climbing room, since you're likely to find black rats in the trees. I'll use undertank heat, at least in the starter tank. I also plan on providing light in the day with some UV (i.e. Reptisun 5.0) since black rats are diurnal, most of the time. I'd like to eventually have a bioactive substrate, but that's a bigger project for when s/he makes it to adult status.
Just thought I'd share with you all!

Old 10-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
TyrannosaurusRex
Nice!

Old 10-13-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Occidentalis
All snakes are protected under VA law. Release them all.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/permits/guide.asp

Old 10-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
773Shaggy
@ T'rex - thanks! They have all done well. All have eaten and shed, most have been released.
@ Occidentalis - not to argue, but I'm good. I'm only keeping one. One may keep five wild-caught individuals of a species. Black rats are the farthest thing from a listed species.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Occidentalis
That's fine and legal, as long as you don't ever sell or release it. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
773Shaggy
Just an update. Nine of ten hatchlings were released soon after their first or second feeding, and hopefully we'll see them outside this year taking care of pests in the garden
One was kept, based on behavior and coloring. He's doing well, and is a very curious, active, and entertaining young snake. Great eater, and handles well. He's gotten darker with each shed, and has been very educational for the kids. So far, so good!

Old 03-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
TyrannosaurusRex
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 773Shaggy View Post
@ T'rex - thanks! They have all done well. All have eaten and shed, most have been released.
@ Occidentalis - not to argue, but I'm good. I'm only keeping one. One may keep five wild-caught individuals of a species. Black rats are the farthest thing from a listed species.
That's good to hear! You should upload some pictures!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!