Study finds teens glamorizing self-injury - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
SamanthaJane13
Unhappy Study finds teens glamorizing self-injury

Updated: Monday, 21 Feb 2011, 8:17 PM EST
Published : Monday, 21 Feb 2011, 5:48 PM EST

* Joe Arena
* Posted by: Eli George

New research finds certain video content on the web can threaten the mental health, and even the lives of teens.

Be aware: the video contains disturbing images

The new study looked at some disturbing videos on YouTube that are attracting millions of hits from viewers. The clips apparently show young people cutting themselves and inflicting other forms of self0injury.

This is raising red flags for parents who fear these videos could serve as "how-to" guides for troubled teens. More than 5,000 of the videos seem to glamorize self-injury and few of them discourage it.

The research found 14 to 24 percent of young adults say they've engaged in some sort of behavior that harmed themselves at least once. CBS Early Show contributor and psychologist Dr. Jennifer Hartstein says the teen do not intend to kill themselves, even though the severity of the cutting might.

>> You can learn more about the study here-http://www.wivb.com/dpps/health/pedi...injury_3725814

"The aim is really to regulate emotion. So that can be through cutting, burning, picking their skin, picking at wounds, any of those things. But they feel something so intensely that self-injury actually modulates emotion for them rather than a healthier coping skill like you and I might have, like running or going to the gym or something like that," explained Dr. Hartstein.

So what can concerned parents do? Psychologists recommend to check kids for unexplained cuts or bruises and quickly shifting mood swings. Some teens will also hide wounds by wearing long sleeves and pants during the summer.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/health/Study...ng-self-injury

Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
WebSlave
Seriously? Do people really watch videos of someone stabbing themselves and think "Man, I've GOT to try that myself!" ??

Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
SamanthaJane13
Well, emotionally unbalanced teens tend to feel that mutilating themselves helps them "feel" something.

I say get them involved with a good shrink and LOTS of animals.

They won't be cutting for long.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
WebSlave
Nature made "pain" a method to pursuade even dumb animals to cease with something damaging to themselves that they are currently doing.....

Old 02-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #5
SamanthaJane13
I agree, Webby!

Like I said...the kids need help!! They must not be wired right!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #6
RachelSS
The problem is that some cutters will do this as punishment for guilt. They are "unbalanced" and MANY hide their cutting out of shame.

People who are glamorizing it are just getting attention.

But yes, they NEED help, regardless.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!