Hi- looking into ball pythons? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #1
aHawaiianNene
Hi- looking into ball pythons?

Hello! I'm new here, and I've been interested in getting a ball python for a few months now. My main question is on caging- what's the best size? I take pride in making my animals as happy & comfortable as they can be- I didn't know what to trust out of the Google articles that came up. I would also appreciate any info anyone can give me, on feeding, cages, cage accessories, basically everything since I know next to nothing about ball pythons.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
snowgyre
Most folks who keep ball pythons keep them in racks. It's easier to control humidity and temperature with a fully enclosed rack system. CSerpents Is my preferred rack company but there are many good options out there, you can do an internet search for companies and then check the Board of Inquiry here to make sure the company creates a good product in a timely fashion.

If you want to have a tank, a front opening tank such as an ExoTerra glass terrarium would work best, because you can reach in instead of reaching down into a typical tank, which makes it easier to clean, feed, and doesn't freak out the snake as much. You want a tank that is wider and longer than it is tall... floor space is more important to a ball python than vertical space.

As always, appropriate hides that are fully enclosed except for an entrance hole, water bowl, and suitable substrate (e.g. Prococo, aspen, etc.) are necessary. A ceramic bulb or emitter provides the safest heat, although undertank heaters can be used. All heating elements must be used in conjunction with a dimmer at the very least, a thermostat being the best option (such as Vivarium Electronics or HerpStat).

A 5 gallon is adequate for a hatchling, a 10 gallon is suitable for a subadult up to 500 grams, a 20 gallon is suitable for an adult male, and a 30 gallon is suitable for a large adult female. If you'd like to get a rack instead, tub sizes for the ages above are: shoebox (6 quart) > sweaterbox (12 quart) > blanketbox (28 or 32 quart) > 41 quart.

The initial investment for equipment often vastly exceeds the cost of the actual animal. A tank is a little cheaper but more difficult to maintain correct temperature and humidity. A rack is more expensive initially but is more space saving, easier to maintain, and gives you the option of easily expanding your collection should you choose to eventually. You're probably looking at a total initial investment of around $200-$400, not including the cost of the snake itself.

You will also need freezer space to keep rodents if the snake is eating frozen/thawed/warmed rodents. If the snake is eating live rodents, you will have to find a store or local breeder who can sell you what you need.

Hope this helps. There is a lot of self-help care sheets available online as well, feel free to look around.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
aHawaiianNene
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
Most folks who keep ball pythons keep them in racks. It's easier to control humidity and temperature with a fully enclosed rack system. CSerpents Is my preferred rack company but there are many good options out there, you can do an internet search for companies and then check the Board of Inquiry here to make sure the company creates a good product in a timely fashion.

If you want to have a tank, a front opening tank such as an ExoTerra glass terrarium would work best, because you can reach in instead of reaching down into a typical tank, which makes it easier to clean, feed, and doesn't freak out the snake as much. You want a tank that is wider and longer than it is tall... floor space is more important to a ball python than vertical space.

As always, appropriate hides that are fully enclosed except for an entrance hole, water bowl, and suitable substrate (e.g. Prococo, aspen, etc.) are necessary. A ceramic bulb or emitter provides the safest heat, although undertank heaters can be used. All heating elements must be used in conjunction with a dimmer at the very least, a thermostat being the best option (such as Vivarium Electronics or HerpStat).

A 5 gallon is adequate for a hatchling, a 10 gallon is suitable for a subadult up to 500 grams, a 20 gallon is suitable for an adult male, and a 30 gallon is suitable for a large adult female. If you'd like to get a rack instead, tub sizes for the ages above are: shoebox (6 quart) > sweaterbox (12 quart) > blanketbox (28 or 32 quart) > 41 quart.

The initial investment for equipment often vastly exceeds the cost of the actual animal. A tank is a little cheaper but more difficult to maintain correct temperature and humidity. A rack is more expensive initially but is more space saving, easier to maintain, and gives you the option of easily expanding your collection should you choose to eventually. You're probably looking at a total initial investment of around $200-$400, not including the cost of the snake itself.

You will also need freezer space to keep rodents if the snake is eating frozen/thawed/warmed rodents. If the snake is eating live rodents, you will have to find a store or local breeder who can sell you what you need.

Hope this helps. There is a lot of self-help care sheets available online as well, feel free to look around.
Thank you! I've been on another (small pet) forum for quite some time so I'm still trying to figure out the workings of this forum.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!