Will gas prices have any influence if you go - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
old guy
Will gas prices have any influence if you go

this year to far away destinations to hunt/observe reptiles? Several of us has been debating some of our trips if the gas prices goes to what they are rumored to get to. At this time my home town gas price is at $2.20 and it has been climbing between .02 cents and .04 cents per day or every other day. The big gas company here stated they are going up 24 cents by next week or next so that makes a fill up in my Toyota truck at $46.00 ! Whew ! The place where we normally go, the gas prices are at $2.49 already and by summer they are telling us it will be at least around $2.79 or $2.98. I was just wondering.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
robin d.
chances are no beecause i don't think it wise for me to feild collect when i cant see (plus it aint no fun if you cant see it).... especially where i want to go has coppers and rattlers and corals... spideys and scorpions.... i would be a liability however i know it would have no bearing on my husband going

Old 03-27-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
CAV
A vacation is a vacation!

I'm still going to West Texas in June. It is still cheaper than going to most places, and there are Alterna and Subocs.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
Bringerofdoom
You all are lucky. I live in ohio now

Emporia kansas is where my love for reptiles began. I grew up 7 miles out of town and i remember tons of snakes and lizards and other things. My mom had given me a reptile fieldbook, so i was always out in our 4 acre land with this book looking up every little moving creature i found.

I remember riding my bike in the middle of town, in emporia and seen a copperhead give birth. Until then i did not realize THEY give birth to live young. That was interesting to watch, until they all were out........

But to be on topic here, i WAS entertaining the thought of field collecting this year. With these gas prices though, i am having my doubts of going.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:05 PM   #5
robin d.
Quote:
I'm still going to West Texas in June. It is still cheaper than going to most places, and there are Alterna and Subocs.
watch out for the hots over there... lep, westerns,transpecos coppers and coral.... redheaded centipedes, tarantuals and spider and scorps... have a good set of tongs and a coule of good hooks... and bug spray

Old 03-28-2005, 12:16 AM   #6
CAV
I'm a fifth generation Texan Robin so I know what little wonders await. Heck, most of that can be found in Austin!

Old 03-28-2005, 02:30 AM   #7
reptilebreeder
A couple friends and I started planning our "major" trip to AZ about a month ago, so given that we were already planning the trip, and also that it is our major excursion, we will still be going next month. Had the trip been all the way to Texas, or not already planned, we may have altered our plans. We always take one major trip and many minor trips every year. I think it will affect the number(or at least the distance) of "minor" trips we take this year.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:01 AM   #8
jonellopez
You're still lucky. . .

It's already 2.79-2.99 here in the San Francisco Bay Area and i'm pretty sure if everything stays the same it will be 3.00 plus here when summer hits. I say do it sooner and indulge now than later in the summer since it definitely going up. Take care

Jonel @ Selective Propagations
www.spsnakes.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!