Bad Guy Heather Colwell / Majestic Morphs - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
ShadowAceD
Steve, I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what it is your are expecting out of Heather at this point.

There was a breakdown in communiction somewhere, that much is obvious, but there is no proof either way that the animal was in that condition before it left her hands or that it ended up in that condition in your hands. I am speaking more of the nuerological issues it was exhibiting. The mark on its face, I am not sure how people are so sure it's a bite mark because, to me, it actually does look like the animal's head was drug against something or caught on it given how "clean" the skin seems to have slid.

She offered you a refund of your purchase price minus shipping, this is industry standard. She also offered a partial refund of 100.00 for you to keep the animal, but you still found that unacceptable. I know you have an issue with her decision on the return shipping, but it is pretty common for people to ask that customers unsatisfied with their animals return the animal on their own dime unless it can be proven without a shadow of a doubt that the condition the animal is in was caused by the seller.

The animal appears to be improving, but you posted this thread anyway. So, again, what is it you want from her?

Also, it is not uncommon for two smaller snakes in the same bag together. Of course, you are never anticipating the package will be lost and the shipment will be delayed even though you should always expect the unexpected. Either way ... it's not that uncommon.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
stevek123
Hi Diem,

From Heather I would appreciate some compensation, but I really expect nothing from her. It would be good customer service if she agreed to the $100 in compensation she suggested less than 48 hrs earlier from her declining it.

I'm am by no means a BP expert. From what I understand there is the possibility he could be sterile or have other issues breeding due to the trauma experienced. I am willing to except that, rather than send him back to her. The gash, chin injury is what it is. I have no idea how it came about. I do know I am very careful handling my snakes and there was no closing the lid down on him as she suggested. He was in his hide when I closed the cover, I placed him there myself. I never told her she sent me a damaged BP, just to make that clear. I received one.

Yes, I do have a issue with her reasoning in shipping. Now I havent been in the BP world long, but I have been in Sales. Typically, When something is purchased and noted as a "shipped" price. It is meant that the buyer paid for the item and the seller paid for the shipping as part of the deal. Technically it should be FOB destination. Heather wanted me to return the pewter with me footing the bill for 2/3 of the shipping cost.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
deborahbroadus
While I agree with Diem, I would like to see pictures of the enclosure that the animal was kept in on arrival and now (if the enclosures have changed.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
ShadowAceD
In this industry, when something is noted as a "shipped" price, that means the price has been elevated to reflect the shipping, that actual "purchase" price of the animal is different. I cannot really think of any breeder or seller in this industry that willing forks over the money for shipping. That would be counter productive for them. Same as if you order something off the internet, you pay for the shipping unless it states "Free Shipping" in which case, that is a whole 'nother thing.

Now, I understand wanting the compensation, but I can also understand her not being willing to give it now. The animal's condition has improved, he may have been overly stressed, he may have overheated, he may have gotten too cold, he may be an epileptic, it really is impossible to tell. As for sterility or anything of that nature, of course they are possibilities, but none of that can be proven without definitive testing and lots of it. At this point, I really think sending it back for initial purchase price or keeping it as an improved animal is what you have.

As for the gash in the chin, it just occurred to me that it is possible he did that to himself with thrashing around his container. As far as the "it appears to have begun healing already" thoughts on it, I would have to disagree. In all honesty, it does not even appear to be a gash the more I look at it, it appears to be skin ripped back from the surface of actual flesh. Again, very possible he did this to himself while thrashing about for whatever reason.

I am not judging you or trying to say you are in the wrong at all, I just feel that the situation as it stands now is accept her terms with the shipping or keep the animal.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
stevek123
I just took some pics of his tub, sterlite shoe box, 6 qt. Dunno how to post them here, they are on my desktop

Old 09-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
ShadowAceD
If you have a photobucket, you can upload them to there and copy and paste the "IMG" link here. Otherwise ... when posting a "Reply" go to "Advanced". Scroll down to "Additional Options" and then go to where it says "Manage Attachements". Click that "Manage Attachements" icon and hit "Browse" to browse your comp for the pics. Select them, then his "Upload". Then "Submit Reply" as normal.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #17
stevek123
OK Here are the pic's of his tub, Adding the pics was no different than when I did it earlier, I just didn't sscroll down far enough. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #18
stevek123
Diem,

I will definately be more careful in the future as to who is paying the shipping.
So as you see it, and please correct me if I'm in error. For me to return the injured pewter for a refund I would be out $140.00 on a $425 purchase.

And I have decided to keep him rather than send him back.

Thanks Diem,

Steve

Old 09-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #19
ShadowAceD
So ... I had this big long response to post to you and, in my infinite wisdom, ex'd out of the wrong window.

Okay ... the basic jist is ... technically, you would be out 140.00 on a 355.00 purchase. This is because the shipping to you, 70.00, was added the initial purchase price of the animal. This is not money the seller absorbs, it is money that is spent specifically for shipping the animal from point A to point B. What you actually spent on purchasing the animal was 355.00. I know, that doesn't make it an easier to swallow, but it is what it is.

Generally speaking, in this industry, a seller is not going to pay return shipping on an animal unless they know for certain that something they did or something the carrier did damaged the animal in question in some way. Because there are so many unknowns regarding the little Pewter, that is how the stalemate you and Heather are at came about. So, while I can understand both point of views, I have to side with the seller on this one. Her offering to pay even a fraction of the return shipping is a nice offer.

Now, with that being said, I would like to state that I think Heather handled this sitaution rather poorly. She should have maintained better contact with you throughout this process, regardless of if her lack of contact was due to her trying to figure out the situation by allowing others to view the video and photos. Under no circumstances should a seller let that much time pass between hearing about a problem with an animal and calling the buyer. It is unacceptable. Still, that does not mean her decisions following the breakdown in communication are wrong.

If there were an easy way to figure out just what happened to your little pewter, all of this would be cut and dry, but there is not, so you are left with making a decision based solely off your own reasoning skills. While I do not think this Bad Guy Thread is warranted, I think your decision to keep the pewter is the better option. If not just for the simple fact he has clearly been through enough stress and does not need to be shipped out again.

Now, in knowing that, you have to understand that by keeping him, you are completing the obligations between you and the seller and no matter if he does end up being sterile or something happens and the nuerological symptoms suddenly resurface, that is all on you. Basically, her offer to refund you was a out for you to not have to deal with any potential future issues with the animal, but in declining that, you are agreeing to accept the animal as he is and take the risk (personally, I think he's fine, but you can see where I am going with this).

Hopefully, he will continue to improve for you and thrive. Hopefully, Heather will learn to strenghten her communication skills and an incident like this will not have to happen again. Only time will tell, of course, but good luck with him regardless.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
deborahbroadus
Thanks for showing the housing. BTW: the sterlite tub you are using with the top is the same type that I was using when I first started and one of my quarantined animals had the same kind of incident when she tried to put her head though the gaps of the lid and tub.

I took her to the vet and eventually her scales grew back, I wasn't really concerned about it, I knew it was minor and NOT a rat bite.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!