Outback Snakehouse Are Cruel And Inhumane - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 03-09-2004, 11:28 AM   #1
merciful
Thumbs down Outback Snakehouse Are Cruel And Inhumane

MARK AND AIMEE ARE REAL HIPOCRITS.WE BOUGHT A SNAKE FROM THEM AND THEY SHIPPED IT AS A PERISHABLE FOOD ITEM!!
WITH NO HEAT , NO LABEL EXCEPT PERISHABLE , NO ROOM TO BREATH AT ALL (HE WAS ALMOST DEAD) , WENT THROUGH A AIRBONE COMPANY THAT DOESN'T EVEN SHIP ANIMALS (SO JUST IMAGINE HOW THE POOR GUY FEELS.
DON'T BELIEVE A WORD THESE PEOPLE TELL YOU , UNLESS YOU WANT TO HAVE SNAKE FOR DINNER.
THIER NAME SHOULD BE ""OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE"

Old 03-09-2004, 11:41 AM   #2
Mark and Aimee
First - we shipped through Airborne, as we have for quite a few years.

The box did not have any air holes. Snakes do not need air holes in the box. Their oxygen usage is considerably less than that of a lizard or even a mammal. Air holes would have only served as a route for cold air to enter the box.

There was no heat pack. The temperature in Colorado was great, the temperature in Fort Worth, TX was great. A heat pack would have raised the internal temperature of the box high enough to cause serious concern for the animal.

The snake was bagged in a pillow case, tied with a single knot, and taped with duct tape to ensure the snake did not escape.

The snake was then placed in an insulated box, with newspaper filling in the extra space. This keeps the snake from bouncing around.

The box was not labeled "live animal", as we all know Airborne will not knowingly accept live animals. When asked for the contents, perishable food items was the first thing that came to mind. It doesn't matter - they treat all boxes the same.

I am waiting for Deanna and Sam Gibson to provide me with some photos or vet reciepts. They are telling me there is jaw damage and possibly skull damage. The jaw could be distorted slightly. An 8 ft snake pushing at a bag can certainly distort his jaw. This is not a life or death situation, it is something that will right itself in a day or two.

I can't see where we did anything wrong, other than send a snake to an inexperienced keeper who doesn't know much about shipping.

I've already made the offer to right any wrongs... If there was any. All I need is pictures and vet reciepts. To protect myself, I must have these items within 24 hours of reciept.

Old 03-09-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Mark & Aimee,

One thing, ALL boxes containing any wildlife [b]MUST[b] be clearly labeled as LIve Harmless (animals, Reptiles, etc). IF they are shipped as Perishables only, or other things and not labeled correctly it is a violation of the Lacey act. It does not matter if it is Airborne or whomever, they all must be marked. Also I recently shipped a package through Airborne/DHL to a customer of mine. That package was clearly legally labeled and they shipped it without problem. I normally use UPS, but this customer wanted their package shipped Airborne anc charged to their account. I would suggest not matter what comes out of this situation that you only ship legally marked boxes from here on out as the penalties can be very steep for Lacey Act Violations.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
merciful
Re: Outback Snakehouse Are Cruel And Inhumane

Quote:
Originally posted by merciful
MARK AND AIMEE ARE REAL HIPOCRITS.WE BOUGHT A SNAKE FROM THEM AND THEY SHIPPED IT AS A PERISHABLE FOOD ITEM!!
WITH NO HEAT , NO LABEL EXCEPT PERISHABLE , NO ROOM TO BREATH AT ALL (HE WAS ALMOST DEAD) , WENT THROUGH A AIRBONE COMPANY THAT DOESN'T EVEN SHIP ANIMALS (SO JUST IMAGINE HOW THE POOR GUY FEELS.
DON'T BELIEVE A WORD THESE PEOPLE TELL YOU , UNLESS YOU WANT TO HAVE SNAKE FOR DINNER.
THIER NAME SHOULD BE ""OUTBACK STEAKHOUSE"

--through the past 6-7 years we have always had no less than 10 snakes in our "family"!! we treat them better than we treat ourselves most of the time!! we are so attached to our "children" , they have no worries & in no way aggresive!!
would you like to be shipped like that?? i was just very upset when my snake arrived on my door-step about half dead!! i really expected him to be in good condition , but almost dead doesn't work!! we may not no alot about the shipping process , BUT MARK & AIMEE MUST NOT BE EITHER

Old 03-09-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
pitboss
Proof

You continue to post your opinion of how the snake appears to you and insults toward others. Post some pics of your 'half-dead' snake, the jaw/head, box and all.... Before accusing and insulting others of their shipping methods, maybe you should have inquired how the animal was to be shipped during the purchase, and if you disagreed with the method, you should have made the request for another form of shipping.

Whenever you, as a customer, purchase an animal that requires being shipped, it is, in the very end, the customer's responsibility to verify with the seller ALL details of the transaction. If there's something you don't feel comfortable about, ask for changes..

Old 03-09-2004, 12:28 PM   #6
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
WE BOUGHT A SNAKE FROM THEM AND THEY SHIPPED IT AS A PERISHABLE FOOD ITEM!!
I just checked with Aimee, who dropped the package off. Nowhere did anything state it was a perishable food item. This is the interpretation of the reciever.

Quote:
One thing, ALL boxes containing any wildlife [b]MUST[b] be clearly labeled as LIve Harmless (animals, Reptiles, etc).
Thanks for the info Rob, I'll keep that in mind for future shipments. We are currently in the process of getting approved for FEDEX, so we won't have to "tiptoe" anymore.

Quote:
would you like to be shipped like that?? i was just very upset when my snake arrived on my door-step about half dead!! i really expected him to be in good condition , but almost dead doesn't work!!
Please, do tell - how would you have shipped the snake differently? What are your EXACT procedures for shipping a snake (if you have ever shipped)?

Half dead? How is the snake half dead? Please post evidence of your claims, or stand down. I have made the offer to right any wrongs. IF substatial proof is provided within 24 hours.

Quote:
we may not no alot about the shipping process , BUT MARK & AIMEE MUST NOT BE EITHER
I would like to extend an open invitation for ANYONE who has ever had a problem with the way we pack and ship animals, to PLEASE come here and state it NOW. If we don't know how to ship animals, it would certainly show by now, as we have shipped out QUITE a few.

Again, pictures. Vet reciepts. Proof. That's what I am asking for. I'd love to help bring this to a close, but my hands are tied right now.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:36 PM   #7
Mark and Aimee
Worth adding...

These people (I'm not sure what to call them, I've gotten 3 or 4 different names now) were upset because they had to cut the bag open to get the snake out. They said it was tied too tight. I say it was a successful knot! The purpose of a knot is to keep the bag tied shut. It most certainly did this. Just to make sure, I wrapped the knot with duct tape. Am I the ONLY one who doesn't want snakes escaping from the bag during transit?

I could sit here and tell you about the snakes I have recieved, with the snake roaming a box, and an untied bag somewhere in there. It's a little nerve wracking, to say the least.

I have adviced the reciever in this case to post all correspondence on the Board of Inquiry from here on out. If we're going to resolve this on the internet rather than over the phone of through email, let's do it all the way. I don't want anyone to miss any details.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:48 PM   #8
Dennis Gulla
Deanna,

Could you please explain to the rest of us how "you" would pack and ship a snake that is 8 feet long.

I am not looking for anything brief, I would prefer if you could list step by step on how you would pack and ship that snake.

Thanks in advance for your discription..

Old 03-09-2004, 01:27 PM   #9
Sybella
Duct taping the knot is smart. I received snakes with zip ties around the knot too. For the safety of the snake, and anyone else involved, the snake CANNOT escape...it's a must that precautions are taken.

Speaking of escaped snakes...I'll tell you what happened to a snake I received one time.

I was being sent a male corn snake and the person sent it through USPS. (I thought she meant UPS, not USPS, and she didn't know she couldn't ship snakes through the post office at that time.) I knew when it was supposed to be here and it was late so I was getting worried. I called the post office telling them that I had expected a package but it didn't arrive...no one claimed to know anything.

The next day, I got a letter from the postal inspection office saying that it was illegal to ship snakes through the mail. It wasn't until I called the officer on duty and got permission to go retrieve the snake from the SPCA that I found out what happened.

This snake made it from Pennsyvlania, all the way to California and was "intercepted" about a block from my house. The 3-4 ft cornsnake had escaped from his packaging inside the mail truck. When the carrier tried to get more mail out, he saw the snake, panicked, ran back to the post office to call the authorities, refusing to deliver any more mail until the "venomous" snake was removed from his truck. LOL!

I picked up the snake from the shelter and luckily, he seemed ok, despite having no water for 3-4 days. And, finally a week later, I got a call asking me if I wanted the packaging back. I went and picked that up and that snake was in a bag, tied and inside a plastic shoebox, inside a taped box. The only real "problem" was that the knot was loose.

Old 03-09-2004, 02:04 PM   #10
The BoidSmith
Deanna,

It seems as if this is your first shipping. The description do far is pretty much the standard for safely shipping snakes.

One other thing, could you elaborate on your statement, and I quote:

Quote:
i was just very upset when my snake arrived on my door-step about half dead!! i really expected him to be in good condition , but almost dead doesn't work!!
What your interpretation of almost dead? Now if there is an injury that's another thing in itself, but you will have to show pictures showing backing your claim.

Kindly.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!