Jamaican Boas Breeding - Page 29 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #281
cguarino30
Trying something a little different this week. All holdbacks were fed the usual chick thighs, and the two consistent pinkie eaters were fed unscented pinkies, but everyone else was fed ivory-washed pinkies. All non-holdbacks as well as t1 and t4. I will update in the morning with results.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #282
cguarino30
Ivory washing was not successful. Only one of the animals that was offered an ivory-washed pinkie chose to eat it. One observation that I think is worth noting, though, is that at least half of them were curled up around their pinkies this morning when I went to check on them. I'm not sure if this is an indication of anything, except maybe hunger, but I thought it merited documentation.

Since Ivory alone did not increase reception rates, I am thinking that it was the combination. One of the theories behind why Ivory dish soap helps colubrids to take their first food is that the ivory washes way the scent of urine or other distractions that may be on the pinkies. Domestic mice are notably dirtier than wild prey items, and this is thought to make them less desirable food items. My current theory is that it was the combination of ivory AND chick scenting that got the non-holdbacks to eat in the numbers from before, and that is what I will try next. I will wash the pinkies in ivory, then rinse thoroughly and scent with chick heads. Hopefully, that will do the trick.

T1 and T4 both declined to eat the ivory washed pinkie as well, though T4 was one of the snakes that was curled around the pinkie. Next week, they will each be offered a f/t anole.

All holdbacks ate with no issues.

T3 has not eaten in some time now, despite still having available food in situ. He is looking a little blue, and has eaten quite a few anoles over the past few weeks, so I assume that these two things are contributing. I will update when the last anole is consumed.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #283
cguarino30
Ok, switching things up a little today. As usual, holdbacks were fed chick thighs. The three reliable pinkie eaters were fed unscented pinkies. Two of these have been eating unscented regularly, but up until today, the third has only eaten scented and/or washed pinkies. This will be his/her first unscented pinkie.

T1 and T4 were each fed a f/t anole. This is T4's first anole, but I'm optimistic about it. After he takes this one, I will begin trying to convert him to anole-scented pinkies.

Two of the non-holdback group were offered anole-scented pinkies as an experiment. If they take them readily, I will offer them to the rest of the group and may begin feeding these regularly.

The rest of the non-holdback group was offered chick thighs, as I feel they needed a break.

Also, T3 finally broke his fast last night and ate a live anole.

I will update in the morning with results.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 PM   #284
Snakesitter
Good news on T3, and good luck with the rest!

Old 02-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #285
cguarino30
Thanks, Cliff.

H5 was the only holdback that declined to eat, and is looking a little blue, so presumably, that is why. All other holdbacks ate without issue.

All three unscented pinkie-eaters ate their unscented pinkies.

Of the non-holdback group, the two that were offered anole-scented pinkies declined to eat. The others all ate their chick thighs. For this reason, I have decided to feed this group chick thighs for a few weeks, and then to try to wean them onto chick-scented pinkies again. They have missed numerous meals due to being offered pinkies and I would like to build their strength up again before making any more attempts.

T1 ate the f/t anole. No surprises there. However, T4 declined his f/t anole. T4 will be fed a chick thigh next week to see if we can break the fast, then will be offered another anole the next week.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #286
cguarino30
Looks like I was right about H5. Here are some updated pics post-shed. No doubt he/she will be back on feed this week.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #287
Snakesitter
Killer color!

Old 02-08-2015, 09:20 PM   #288
Helenthereef
Looking great!

I'm guessing the answer is no, as you are so careful about not stressing them, but have you been taking any weights? I'd love to know their growth rate.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:02 PM   #289
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Killer color!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Looking great!

I'm guessing the answer is no, as you are so careful about not stressing them, but have you been taking any weights? I'd love to know their growth rate.
Thanks. They're all really coming along. As much as I would like to be getting regular weights and lengths, you are correct. I am too worried about what the stress would do. They also have a tendency to bolt when placed on flat surfaces in the open, and I prefer not to risk letting anyone make a run for it. I will say, though, that growth and development is quite noticeable. The are gradual and steady in growth rate, but every couple days of weeks you look at them and realize how much they have developed.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:16 PM   #290
cguarino30
Busy week at work, so I'm feeding them late this week. I'll skip on Tuesday and then feed them back on schedule the following week.

All holdbacks were fed 2 chick thighs. They're getting big enough that the one thigh doesn't seem like enough, but not quite big enough for quail chicks just yet. I thought 2 thighs was a good compromise. We will see how many eat both.

T1 and T3 were each fed a f/t anole. T3 will be put back into a tub in a few days. T4 was fed a chick thigh to see if he is off feed completely or just refusing anoles.

3 pinkie eaters were fed unscented f/t pinkies.

All other non-holdbacks were fed a single chick thigh.

I will update in the morning with results.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!