Jamaican Boas Breeding - Page 52 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-30-2015, 01:23 AM   #511
Snakesitter
Check +1 for my former psychic reading…. ;-) Congrats!

Old 09-30-2015, 01:25 AM   #512
Snakesitter
Wow, what a difference a year makes in color and size! It would be interesting to see a monthly photo/age progression of a baby as it grew….

Old 09-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #513
Helenthereef
I love the juxtaposition of the babies from the two different years, what a great contrast.

Good luck on the others, hope #14 picks up, but even if not you have had a good percentage recovery so far.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:53 PM   #514
GillianC
Just checked back in on all of this - congrats on the babies! I'm sorry to hear about their escape :/ I actually just lost my silver male G. oxycephalum through pretty similar circumstances. That species is a curse for me. Anyway, I hope you continue to recover more, and that those you have found prove to be good feeders. Harper is still doing really well - I'll have to post updated photos soon.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #515
cguarino30
Thanks all.

Feeding update.

Holdbacks and the N group were all fed quail chicks, with H2 being fed a chick/knee combo. Everyone but H2 and N2 ate. N2 clearly made an attempt, though. This marks N3's first successful quail chick, though.

E2 and N4 were fed fuzzies and ate. T3 was fed two pinkies and declined.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:12 AM   #516
cguarino30
Feeding update:

Quail chicks for all but H2, and H2 got two thighs and a chick/knee combo. H2 ate the two thighs and not the combo. Might go back to thighs for a little while on this one.

E2 and N4 both ate two pinkies. T3 declined again. I'm wondering if T3 is in some sort of seasonal slowdown.

N1, N2, and N3 were offered quail chicks again. N1 and N3 ate with no issues, but N2 made an attempt and gave up. I'll make an effort to give N2 the smallest chick I can find next week.

Now for the really exciting news. I fed a random half of the new babies a single chick thigh yesterday, and every single one of them ate it overnight with one exception. Here's hoping this clutch will have a little more fortitude than the last one. This might be a somewhat less labor-intensive year than last year was. Fingers crossed.

The exception is the injured baby from the kitchen sink, and who could blame him? I still can't quite decide whether I should euthanize him or not, but he doesn't appear to be in any major distress, so I will keep giving him time. Hopefully, he'll come around eventually.

I plan to feed the other half of the babies ASAP, since I had such a good feeding rate from these guys. I'll update as soon as I can with those results.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #517
cguarino30
Wow. So, I fed the other half of the new babies last night, and it looks like we're dealing with a 100% feeding rate right off the bat. I think this is going to be a hell of a litter. The only exception was the injured one. Here's hoping they keep it up for a few months. haha.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #518
scaledverts
Wow, NICE! Did you do anything different this year compared to last year that might explain the increased success?

Old 10-09-2015, 12:26 PM   #519
GillianC
Really happy to hear this year's group is being more cooperative, particularly after their rather eventful start. I hope to read continued success! I might want a mate for Harper

Old 10-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #520
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaledverts View Post
Wow, NICE! Did you do anything different this year compared to last year that might explain the increased success?
Nothing I can think of. These guys do seem to be a bit hardier in a few ways compared to last year. My two current theories are that the breeding might have been a little more genetically diverse, or that the youth of the female is contributing to baby strength. Alexandria, the dam of last year's babies, is a proven female of indeterminate age, so her babies might not be as hardy as Lucia, who was bred for the first time this year. I also note that Lucia had a 100% viability rate with the litter (no stillborns or slugs) which could also be due to genetics or age or possibly both. No idea. The one thing I can say is that these babies are noticeably stronger tha last year's, and that'sby far the most important thing (for the species and for my sanity, haha).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!