Thayer's Kingsnake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-18-2008, 02:27 AM   #1
Aaron Mattson
Thayer's Kingsnake

I just wanted to share some pics of a pair of Thayer's Kings I recently got. They were captive bred by my friend Brad Alexander. The parents were a male of Dan Vermilya lines and a female melanistic phase from Justin Mitcham.
Dan is real well known for his Thayer's but he doesn't breed them anymore. As far as I know Justin is more into hognose and not really a thayeri guy. I really like to trace my animals as far back as possible and I really wish I had a little more detail on where Justin got the melanistic which my friend got from him but it is still a real nice bloodline to have in my thayeri.
Anyways the reason I posted all that info rather than just saying "Hey look at these snakes" is because thayeri keepers are often into their lineages since some lines have been hybridized, to avoid inbreeding and because you can't get any wild caught ones anymore. I don't know if there are many thayeri enthusiasts here but if there are I'm sure some of them would find that info useful.
Thayeri come in a variety of colors and some have been selectively bred for bright flashy colors. Most people prefer those but what I like is ones that resemble wild-type, or naturally occuring color phases. They are actually pretty hard to find. One of the things I do when deciding whether I want to buy a snake is to compare them to photos of actual wild ones. These links will show some pictures of actual wild caught thayeri that were photographed in the wild and released. They are not related to my snakes in any way but my snakes do resemble them, IMHO and I really like that.

http://www.sierraherps.com/gallery/l...s_no2_web.html
http://www.sierraherps.com/gallery/l...s_no1_web.html

I guess I have blabbered a bit but it's only because I was excited to have finally gotten some snakes like these.
First the male:

Below is the female:

Old 05-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
DaveyFig
Amazing animals Aaron.It iscool to see some so close to "wild type". I know a lot of times, even when breeding is not selective, captive bred animals become more and more distant from the way they used to be.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
DaveyFig
When I went to bed last night, Aaron had posted a reply, and then I followed with 2 more. I got an email saying that there was a reply since then, and yet when I came here there are none, and only 2 posts in the thread.DOes anyone know why the other posts were deleted?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!