GTP Cage - Vision 215 vs Vision 222 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
MicroZooKits
Question GTP Cage - Vision 215 vs Vision 222

The vision 215 cage measures 28" wide - 14" deep - 20" high and is shown below

while the vision 222 cage measures 28" wide - 24" deep - 24" high and is shown below

Which one would you choose for housing an adult GTP, JCP, ATB, or other arboreal perching snakes? (about 8 or so snakes lets just say)

I'm guessing the 222 would give the snake more room but is it really that much of a difference and would the 10 inches of deeper cabinet space really matter to the snake? What about humidity? Wouldn't the 215 hold humidity better in an hour long test between both cages? Obviously the 215s take up less space, aren't that much different from the 222s and don't have that pesky lamp pocket.
I'm not in any way trying to cramp the snakes or make them less comfortable. If a 222 would make the snake more comfortable that's fine because I already have a couple but was going to use them on a couple other guys.

Assuming both cages have installed heat panels, 2 perches, and proper floral cover for the snake.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
hhmoore
I'll add the qualifier that depending on your choice of snakes, you may be able to get away with the 215. You should keep in mind that of the 3 species mentioned, the GTP will spend the most time perched. ATBs spend more time on the ground than most people think, and (though opinions vary) many would suggest that a 222 isn't really big enough for an adult jungle carpet.
Also, that 10 extra inches in depth and 4 inches in height can be a pretty big deal for something that wanders from its perch. Think about it this way, while the difference may sound small, it equates to approx 70% more floor space and fully doubles the total volume.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
MicroZooKits
See the thing is that I have a few 222 cages right now that came with GTPs and in my eyes they aren't up to standard at all. (pipes in wrong place, no heat panel, ect) Now before I go mod crazy with the dremel I just want to make sure that these will be permanent homes for the GTPs. If they wouldn't mind the 215s I'd rather put them in those to save overall space. In the future I plan to have have some Jaguar Carpets and was wondering how I could house everybody so that the snakes were comfortable enough to reproduce. That's my main concern. Comfort for the animals. If I can make the GTPs comfortable in the 215s and use the 222s for my future Jags, that would be great. If the Jags need a bigger cage, then I won't use the 222s for them but for either the GTPs or something else.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
hhmoore
Well, heat panels and perch placement is something totally different, lol.
Personally, I don't even like Vision cages - I was commenting strictly on the sizes.
Get the size cage that works, and set it up the way you want it.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
Serafim
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Well, heat panels and perch placement is something totally different, lol.
Personally, I don't even like Vision cages - I was commenting strictly on the sizes.
Get the size cage that works, and set it up the way you want it.
Would you have any suggestions on what cage manufacture to use? I just recently got a GTP and would like to set it up in a cage that will house it for its entire life. Thought you may have a few suggestions T.I.A

Old 08-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
MicroZooKits
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serafim
I just recently got a GTP and would like to set it up in a cage that will house it for its entire life
You and me both

Old 08-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
hhmoore
I wasn't ignoring you guys, lol - I had started a response & realized I didn't have time to complete it...waited until I was awake and had time to burn (but not enough to let me get involved with other projects).

The choice of caging manufacturers is a highly subjective one, so I won't address that part. Find a cage with the dimensions and features that match, or are close enough to, the specifications you desire.

Cage sizing is also guided by our personal feelings. I've never kept GTPs, but I have kept ATBs, ETBs, and a variety of carpets. I have used 24x18x24, 24x24x24, 36x24x12, and 24x24x36 cages.
The 24x18x24 is, IMO, suitable for juvie-sub adults of any of those three groups. I just didn't find the 18" depth to be to my liking for larger animals, though I did use them for adult ATBs with no difficulty (again, I wasn't crazy about that match because the ATBs did spend a fair amount of time on the floor).
The 24x24x24 cages work fairly well for many of the animals, but I didn't think they offered enough floor space to the larger carpets. I also felt that the 24" height was a bit limiting for the ATBs, as it didn't allow me to set up the perches to my satisfaction.
Many people will insist that 24x24x24 is sufficient for adult ETBs and Jungle Carpets, and I am not going to argue with them...I will just state that I wasn't happy with those set ups for my animals. Ultimately, it boils down to what works for you - aesthetically and functionally.

As an example - right now, I have a pair of 04 diamonds in 24x24x24 cages. The animals are doing great, but I don't feel that the cages offer enough floor space. These are approximately 6 ft snakes, and, to do anything that even resembles stretching out, they have to - start at the floor, go up to the top perch, stretch along the length of the perch, and hang down to the floor. I'm just not happy with that. I feel that too many snakes are cramped in captivity, and what they "can get away with" has somehow come to represent what is appropriate in many people's eyes. I would move the diamonds to 36x24 cages without hesitation, but I currently only have 12" high caging...so I would lose the perching. They spend too much time utilizing those perches to make that a good option for me. Instead, I try to get them out to stretch and flex at least semi-regularly (I've got a couple pieces of exercise equipment that are great for this, lol...and they use it as often as I do. I have also been known to put them on the shower rod.)

(I also feel that the high humidity environment they require makes it more important that ETBs be able to stretch and move when they want to. With only one functional lung, its compromise can quickly lead to disaster. Any caging system that requires more work of me to keep my animals healthy is lacking, IMO)

Old 08-26-2008, 12:39 AM   #8
ravensgait
OK guys if I were buying new caging for Chondro's I'd buy either 4 or 6 foot cages(I prefer the take down type like Animal Plastics) that are around 2 feet deep and around 20 inches high.. Ask the Maker to cut some dividers for whatever you buy or make your own dividers. Set them up with heat panels I put them close to the divider so the outsides of the cages are cooler. Two or three perches and you're good to go.

Cages for Carpets I do the same way except I use 6 or 8 foot cages with one maybe two perches(they like larger perches for their size than chondro's do) . I put heat in the bottom of the lower cages as well as a top heat panel both on the same side. Heat panel from lower cages makes a warm spot in the cage above.

I really like the take down cages, they are cheaper to ship, can be taken down for a real good cleaning and look as good as any other cage..

I've kept a lot of Chondro's and Carpets over the years and this way has made like easier for them and me..
Randy

Old 08-26-2008, 02:13 AM   #9
MicroZooKits
thanks guys!

I'm in the process of "pimping" the 222s for the chondros.
It sucks there is so much work to be done but nevertheless can't turn back now.
This is where I am so far...
Putting in "correct size" pvc perches with the closet rod holster ends
Cypress mulch substrate
Live Plants for shelter
Large Mopani wood for shedding/climbing
Large water bowl
Still have to get heat panels!
(all substrate and potting soil was baked in the oven prior to installation)

The heat panel that came with one of the cages is way to big for the cage, even with my rheostat on the lowest setting it still puts out 90 degrees!
So i'm using blue light bulbs directly above the perch at the moment until I can get some new panels. They are working too. They keep the hot end at 88 right above the perch and the snakes don't seem to mind the light. They have been moving along the bar to regulate heat so i'm guessing they are comfortable for the moment. Both the males have already taken a meal, still working on the super shy female.
I'll post some more pics when I get the panels installed

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!