Would you choose a HDPE cage over PVC? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:15 PM   #21
Angel619392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Strong frames that are made to be stackable.
Yeah I would put a thick middle support beam in the front middle im talking like a 6" wide by the height of the cage.. By the way look at ed constrictors northwest proline cages they are stacked cages and no support brace in the middle and did fine. Just shows the strength and durability of HDPE. Not saying I would use that approach but just shows the quality of material.. It would be cool if people with ED's old cages can vouch for how HDPE has held up for them for the years they had the cages...

Old 01-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #22
AbsoluteApril
I have some of Ed's old original cages and some of the new style racks. I really don't know which is which as far as material it's made of.

The old ones are nice and smooth and easy to clean but did sag pretty badly because I kept something heavy on top for a while. They are double doors so the middle front does have a support beam. The newer ones are a rougher material, these are racks, not single cages and I have not had issues with sagging but the material holds stains which is annoying.

Overall both styles have held up really well over the years, I prefered the material used on the old style. Photos below of both the smooth old ones and then the newer rougher material (with staining lol). I've had the old ones well over 10 years and the new ones for about 8 years.

I've also had boaphiles and neos in the past, currently I mostly buy AP cages (I also have herp cages for my aboreals). I really don't care about HDPE vs PVC, I just want something lightweight, sturdy and leak free.

Good luck with your project to make cages!
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #23
Angel619392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
I have some of Ed's old original cages and some of the new style racks. I really don't know which is which as far as material it's made of.

The old ones are nice and smooth and easy to clean but did sag pretty badly because I kept something heavy on top for a while. They are double doors so the middle front does have a support beam. The newer ones are a rougher material, these are racks, not single cages and I have not had issues with sagging but the material holds stains which is annoying.

Overall both styles have held up really well over the years, I prefered the material used on the old style. Photos below of both the smooth old ones and then the newer rougher material (with staining lol). I've had the old ones well over 10 years and the new ones for about 8 years.

I've also had boaphiles and neos in the past, currently I mostly buy AP cages (I also have herp cages for my aboreals). I really don't care about HDPE vs PVC, I just want something lightweight, sturdy and leak free.

Good luck with your project to make cages!
Thank you for the pictures, I hope more people show their prolines. and 10 years wow that sure lasted for the 10 years , money well worth it you think?? And again thanks for the pics.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:24 PM   #24
AbsoluteApril
I bought them used so no idea how long ago they were made. Worth it? yes.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #25
Angel619392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
I bought them used so no idea how long ago they were made. Worth it? yes.
Did it have any leak issues? Hold in humidity ? What animal was housed inside. And one more thing can you take a picture of the overall cages?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!