Just a few questions. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-25-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Lucara
Unhappy Just a few questions.

I recently purchased 1 iguana off of Craigslist, unfortunately when I went to pick it up I found out that it came with another one. Sins I only have the time for one I will be re-homing 1 in about 2 weeks after I choose which one seems to like me the most.
*Cage
-As of right now I have them in a flight cage, is this okay to keep them in? It seems to be plenty of room. (I will try to get a picture for you) It is
*Supplements
-I have read on a few sites that tell you to use different types of supplements and them some sites that say you can over supplement and some that say not to use them at all. Are you supposed to use them and if so, do you use liquid or powder? o.O This gets confusing. As of right now I am using a spray on their food and a few drops into their water. The people who previously owned them didn't feed them veggies, they only fed them Juvenile pellets and they lost all of their color. I don't know how well pellets are for their health so I've been giving them supplements along with lots of random veggies and fruits which they seem to love.
*Healthy Choice
-What are some of the healthiest veggies and fruits you could get for them?
THE BIG QUESTION
*Territorial Issues
-One iguana is male and one is a female. I feel bad for the female because the male iguana seems to have taken control over the cage and he chases her off whenever he sees her and he starts bobbing his head up and down rapidly. If he doesn't see her he doesn't bother her but if he looks down from his basking ledge and notices her he chases her around until shes out of the viewing of his basking spot. Kind of like bad scenery or something. Is there anything I can do about that? I cant buy another cage since I am not planning on keeping both but he keeps running her away from his basking spot. As of right now I have a basking light at the top and a daylight at the bottom but I'm replacing the daylight bulb for a ceramic heat bulb so she keeps warm. Do you think this might solve the problem. I think the problem is, is that the cage was set up for 1 iguana because thats all I thought I was getting. =/ Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Tang
This question will help me answer two of your questions: What is a flight cage? How big is it and how big are the iguanas? The territorial behavior could be caused by a lack of room or basking spots.
Yes use a calcium supplement. For reptiles that don't get natural sunlight, a calcium powder with Vitamin D3 (for help absorbing the calcium). The supplement should be a mix of calcium and phosphorous powders with a ratio of 1:1. Sprinkle the powder onto food items before feeding them to the iguanas.
You're right, iguanas shouldn't live on pellets. Those pellets although formulated specially for iguanas, are not a replacement for fresh greens. They are supposed to be used as a supplemental part of the diet left in the enclosure for the lizards to eat when they want. Some good greens to give them are collard greens, mustard greens, romaine lettuce, bok choy or dandelion. Iguanas also love fruit. You can feed them anything that doesn't have citric acid. Also, many iguanas love to eat crickets or mealwoms (dust these with the powder before feeding as well).
I hope that helps, let me know about the size of the animals and dimensions of the enclosure.

A.S.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

That is tricky. You should try to find a home for one of them as soon as you can. They can not cohabitate peacefully. The male will be too territorial for the female. They need large enclosures.
How old are they? As far as calcium supplements go, if you have an iggy who is a baby, then he/she will need calcium with D3 (if using only a flourescent bulb) 5 times weekly. Do NOT use liquid D3 because you can easily overdose them on that.
If you have a green iggy, I wouldn't feed too many insects. Their kidneys really aren't designed to handle too much protein sources from insects. They really are herbivores & should not be fed insects on a regular basis. Doing so can expedite kidney failure.

Tracie

Old 07-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
Lucara
thanks for the help but the male has been gone for like 2 months...I find it rather unrealistic that out of the 150 people to read this post..that no one knew anything that could help me until like 2 months After it was posted...

Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Well I apologize. I was trying to be nice, as I am never in the iguana section. If you still need some help just let me know & I would be happy to run over your husbandry & nutrition with you, no problem. I saw your other post, so I am trying to figure out what you need help on.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!