Salamander Feeding, Housing, etc. Help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
Regnant
Salamander Feeding, Housing, etc. Help

I've recently adopted a pair of salamanders (both female I believe). I'm not sure of age, but the yellow is about 8 inches long and the green about 7 inches (including tail).

(I'll just refer to them as Yellow and Green)

They get along fine (the previous owner had them caged together as well) but there are some things I have questions about.

1. Healthy weight
What is a healthy size? I've seen people say they should be plump, but how big is plump in the salamander world? Is Yellow or Green a healthier weight?

2. Trouble feeding
Yellow will gobble up anything that goes near her, so I'm having no problems feeding her gut-load crickets or super worms. Green though has problems. She misses often and will sometimes wait too long to go after it. I've tried holding crickets near her so they won't scurry off but she takes no interest (sometimes she'll even just move away from it). They have to be running around for her to want them, but she has problem catching them then (even when I corral them to her with a spoon or something). Any advice for getting her to eat more?

3. Humidity/Water
I live in Colorado so it's very dry here. I've been misting the cage every morning to try and keep it humid (and I have the soil somewhat moist). Both of them still seem to hang out in their little pool more often than not. How long do salamanders tend to stay in water vs. land? Should I get a small humidifier for them?

Thank you for any advice you give!

Old 12-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
NocturnalNature
Congratulations on the new additions!
If you search the web you can find numerous care articles for Tiger Salamanders that should give you some helpful information. As always, be sure to compare notes of each one instead of relying solely on the advice of one. This will help verify that the information is generally accepted and from legitimate sources.
I will say from the photo it appears that the "yellow" is better conditioned than the other, which could quite possibly be due to out competing it's cagemate. This is not particularly uncommon when housing several specimens of any animal together, and can be easily rectified by simply setting up a seperate enclosure and keeping them seperate or providing a larger enclosure for the pair.
As far as humidity, it is rarely desirable to keep amphibians moist the whole time (unless they are aquatic). The goal should be to provide "micro habitats" so they can choose what is needed at any particular time. For example, a substrate of earth and leaf litter, damp and dry hides, and a water bowl large enough to soak in, are all ways to provide areas of both moist and dry conditions.

Best of luck with those gorgeous critters!

Old 12-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Regnant
Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalNature View Post
I will say from the photo it appears that the "yellow" is better conditioned than the other, which could quite possibly be due to out competing it's cagemate. This is not particularly uncommon when housing several specimens of any animal together, and can be easily rectified by simply setting up a seperate enclosure and keeping them seperate or providing a larger enclosure for the pair.
I do plan on getting a larger set up eventually. They are still very new to me and I'm not sure how the previous owner took care of them, so my main concern is getting Green to eat more. Good to know that they aren't terrible under or overweight though!

Quote:
As far as humidity, it is rarely desirable to keep amphibians moist the whole time (unless they are aquatic). The goal should be to provide "micro habitats" so they can choose what is needed at any particular time. For example, a substrate of earth and leaf litter, damp and dry hides, and a water bowl large enough to soak in, are all ways to provide areas of both moist and dry conditions.
I'll stop by a pet store on the way home and find some substrate that can stay damper for one area of their tank. I do have a pool for them, but they seem to be staying in there for a day or more at a time. Is this normal?

Old 12-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
NocturnalNature
Many animals soak quite frequently, however in my limited experience with salamanders I find that they will hide during the day if given appropriate hide spots. If you haven't already done so, I'd pick up some pieces of bark large enough for them to burrow under and see if that decreases the amount of time they spend soaking. As mentioned, you'll need multiple hiding spots, both moist and dry underneath.
An easy source of bark is to go out in your local woods and find a dead hardwood tree (not Pine) and utilize the resources available to you. Wash the bark thoroughly and then bake it at 250 degrees for a few hours, this will kill any smalll undesirable hitchhikers that may be hiding in the cracks or crevices. Let it cool thoroughly and then add to your setup.
One other thing that comes to mind is temperatures. Keep in mind that Salamanders prefer cooler temperatures. This isn't to say that they don't need some measure of warmth but it needs to be done in a manner where the animals have access to different temperature gradients, instead of heating the entire enclosure, much like levels of moisture throughout the enclosure.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
Regnant
Quote:
Many animals soak quite frequently, however in my limited experience with salamanders I find that they will hide during the day if given appropriate hide spots. If you haven't already done so, I'd pick up some pieces of bark large enough for them to burrow under and see if that decreases the amount of time they spend soaking. As mentioned, you'll need multiple hiding spots, both moist and dry underneath.
An easy source of bark is to go out in your local woods and find a dead hardwood tree (not Pine) and utilize the resources available to you. Wash the bark thoroughly and then bake it at 250 degrees for a few hours, this will kill any smalll undesirable hitchhikers that may be hiding in the cracks or crevices. Let it cool thoroughly and then add to your setup.
One other thing that comes to mind is temperatures. Keep in mind that Salamanders prefer cooler temperatures. This isn't to say that they don't need some measure of warmth but it needs to be done in a manner where the animals have access to different temperature gradients, instead of heating the entire enclosure, much like levels of moisture throughout the enclosure.
I do have two huts. They did use one quite often but now they are spending tons of time in the pool *shrugs* Maybe they just switch often. I've only had them for a few weeks so I'm still learning their habits.

I keep things cool for my pet rodents already, so the temperature stays between 65 and 80 (being winter now, it stays more in the 70 range) which I read was pretty much perfect for them. I'll see about getting a small heat pad possibly for one corner of their tank.

Thanks so much for all the help! Most people I know have reptiles, not amphibians, so these two are quite the learning experience!

Old 12-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
NocturnalNature
When you mention "huts" keep in mind that most animals that seek shelter prefer to have their bodies in close proximity to the material they are hiding under. In other words, a tight, secure, hide is going to be more appreciated than one that provides too much open space between themselves and the hide. Bark with a slight curl is ideal for this as it allows the animals to tuck themselves in in a manner that makes them feel more secure. Also, it allows the humidity to be more constant since the airflow is considerably less.
Sounds like you're trying your best, so keep asking questions, observing the animals, and try to decipher what they are telling you by their behavior.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #7
Regnant
Quote:
When you mention "huts" keep in mind that most animals that seek shelter prefer to have their bodies in close proximity to the material they are hiding under. In other words, a tight, secure, hide is going to be more appreciated than one that provides too much open space between themselves and the hide. Bark with a slight curl is ideal for this as it allows the animals to tuck themselves in in a manner that makes them feel more secure. Also, it allows the humidity to be more constant since the airflow is considerably less.
Sounds like you're trying your best, so keep asking questions, observing the animals, and try to decipher what they are telling you by their behavior.
I'm used to saying "huts" mainly from rodent cages. I guess I should say "hide" instead!

The hide they like is shorter and fairly enclosed which matches what you are saying they should like. The other is sort of an open ended log which they have climbed on top of more than gone inside.

I'll keep an eye out for any other good hides at pet stores or when I'm out hiking!

Old 12-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
snakesareawesome
Tiger salamanders will usually borrow if given the chance and they become quite tame and will usually associate you with food in short order. A large sweater box with some screen hot glued to the lid should make a fine cage for them. Nightcrawlers, hand fed crickets, and the occasional superworm should make fine staple foods. The main thing with salamanders is not to keep them too warm, they need cool temperatures. I would guess a range of 55-70 throughout the year would be good. Use AC or a windowless basement in the summer.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!