Warning!!This could happen to your pet!! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 04-03-2003, 03:57 PM   #11
Seamus Haley
Quote:
My setup right now isn't permanent enough for something that goes into the wall.
They don't actually have to go into the wall, they can be mounted on just about any flat surface... such as the side of a rack system or even just a block of wood with a hollow behind it halfway down the cord to the heating element.

One thing that should be mentioned, even though it's just common sense... A dimmer switch wouldn't function in the same manner as a rheostat or thermostat... it would simply control the amount of electricity getting to the heating element and thus the temperature, it won't shut off once a certain temperature has been reached. It's still important to monitor the temps at least twice a day when using a dimmer switch, just as you would when using no form of temperature control at all... it simply makes it a lot easier to adjust the enclosure temps based on ambient temps, day/night cycles or when starting to cycle into or out of brumation.

Old 04-03-2003, 04:36 PM   #12
Missymonkey
Holy Cow! I am so sorry to hear about your snake, that must be painful for the both of you. I am so glad that this did not end with a dead snake. I wish you good luck in the healing process and will keep a warm thought for both of you.

Old 04-03-2003, 04:40 PM   #13
Clay Davenport
I don't think anyone actually mounts them in teh wall for heating snake cages. The only thing to consider is to shield the wires so that they are not accidentally touched.
If you're using a wooden cage then mounting the dimmer in a wire mold box directly to the cage looks good and is very functional.

Also, a rheostat is basically a fancy dimmer. They do not maintain a set temperature like a thermostat, they only regulate the amount of power going to the heater. Regular checking of temperatures is still needed.
On the plus side, this does give reason to look in on every cage on a daily basis.

I have even stopped using thermometers in my cages. Instead I use a raytec temp gun. This way the cages are opened every day and a quick visual check is made while I check the temp.
It's easy to not bother looking in on a snake for several days at a time considering they need so little attention compared to other animals.

Old 04-24-2003, 01:31 AM   #14
Merlin0511
arnt you suppose to keep them under the tank and not in it?!?!?!?!

Old 04-24-2003, 09:29 PM   #15
Silly Serpents
Albino retic burns

Dude.I never said it was IN the tank.It was outside the tank.But that brand of heatmat has been known to crack glass from getting too hot!!Not sure were you thought i said it was in the tank but that was a misunderstanding.I never use heat sourses that go in the tank.Heat rocks included. Sonny Aumada

Old 04-25-2003, 04:42 PM   #16
Greg Riso
Hi Sonny and Glenda. I'm sorry to read about your poor retic. Judging by the size I know it's not one of the pair you got from me as they must be monsters by now lol. As Clay said an accident like that can come from ANY heat source. I had a length of heat tape longer than the one Clay showed underneath a 4' Neodesha cage. I noticed the animal would always avoid the area where it was located staying around the perimeter of the cage. One day when I went to move the cage I finally realized why. The linoleum directly under the heat tape had melted and turned brown from the heat! After that I went out and bought one of those oil filled heaters and just recently connected it to a Helix 1500 watt controller. I can control the entire room at a constant daytime and nighttime setting of my choice and not worry about each individual tank. Even then I check each animal with a raytek gun daily as a fail safe measure just to be sure. I have the humidity for the entire room controlled also. It costs a lot more to do this but there's no way any tank will get overheated to the point an animal can get a contact burn or be stressed. Good luck with your retic and all your other animals as well.

Old 04-30-2003, 04:32 AM   #17
Slither
Sorry that you don't agree, but there is only one conclusion in my mind. It was your fault. Controlling the heating device of a reptile's enclosure is part of basic husbandry and a very vital one at that. I personally don't understand how someone can own a $1500-$2000 snake and not spend $25 on a thermostat or even less on a rheostat. No one to blame but yourself. Learn from it, better yourself, and move on.

Old 05-02-2003, 02:38 AM   #18
mykee
I'm going to have to agree that this is solely your own fault. Th emanufacturer is not at fault in this particular situation, however, I have read MANY situations where they were at fault. Basic husbandry states you moderate the temp of your heat source REGARDLESS of what it is. I have 4 racks w/ ball pythons, running 14' of 4" heat tape and I have each rack on thier own Helix. This may be overkill, but I've never had a snake roast as a result. Sorry, your fault.

Old 05-02-2003, 08:37 PM   #19
Silly Serpents
Angry Retic burns

I would have to say that trying to put the entire blame on me is pretty ignorant.Just because you use a helix does not mean nothing will happen to you!!Accidents happen,products malfunction and lastly,even the products intended to prevent other products from malfuntioning have the ability to malfunction.For example:I have owned and bred snakes for roughly 18 years and this is the first problem i have ever had with a product.And i can honestly say that.Sure in my earlier years i have come across stomatitis and mites but who hasnt?Yeah i may have been asking for trouble by not taking those extra precautions but like i said,i have never had a problem.Eventually something negative will happen to you.Whether its to one of your herps due to a malfuntioning product or maybe your house might burn to the ground due to a malfunctioning thermostat or maybe a socket.Bad things happen and i love all my snakes to the utmost importance.So to hear some of you say that its all MY fault really tees me off.But hey,at least im adult enough to take your critisizms.No one can control every little thing in life as i have learned but but yes i have learned from my decisions.And to end this,i dont mean that i wish ANYTHING negative to happen to ANYONE or their PETS especially.I am just making a point.Also,attached is the latest pic of how she is doing. Thanks to all who have responded,Sonny Aumada/Silly Serpents
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2003, 03:14 AM   #20
JasonBrennan
Quote:
The only blame for the burns i will accept is that i used a zoomed heatmat.
Statements like this are why you recieved some negative comments, I think. Don't take things so personal....yes, it was your fault for not using a regulator of some type. Don't take that to mean that everyone thinks that you don't give a damn about your animals. I could back my car out of the driveway and accidently run over one of my kids because I didn't look behind me (as in not taking the recommended precautions). Would not mean that I didn't love my kid, just means that I was not as careful as I should have been. That's all.

As long as something was learned from the incident and changes have been made, that is what counts. Of course, if you still refused to use a thermostat or similar device on your heating elements, well.........

By the way, I am glad to see that the snake is doing better!!!!!! Good job on the after care!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!