Black Knight = Death - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 07-10-2003, 05:52 PM   #11
sputnik
Quote:
it also kills the ozone layer illegal and deadly for reptiles.......
Kills the ozone?

I didn't know it as alive!

Drown your reptiles in it and *YES* it would be deadly to your reptiles by overuse. Light *VERY* light application is all that is needed.

It seems this person killed their own reptiles from what I can read of the original wishy washy post!

Old 07-10-2003, 06:16 PM   #12
Winter
I don't know about the effect that Black Knight has on the ozone, but I have used it before on pythons and have never had a problem. I used it very sparingly, and in a well ventilated area. I also did not directly cover the animal, but rather lightly misted their enclosures, let it air out, and then placed the just-soaked (in water!) animals into them. I left the windows open the rest of the day just in case and kept an eye on my charges, just in case. Worked like a charm.

Regards,

Lauren Rost

Old 07-11-2003, 01:59 AM   #13
SPJ
I used BK exactly how Pro Exotics explained it should be used. I took everything out of the enclosure but the snake and sprayed enough BK to "fog" the enclosure. Didn't directly spray the RGS but I sprayed enough to make it foggy in the enclosure. My RGS died right afterwards.
This is where Pro Exotics says to use the "fogging method".
http://www.proexotics.com/FAQ_answer..._of_mites.html

Old 07-11-2003, 02:14 AM   #14
sputnik
Quote:
I took everything out of the enclosure but the snake and sprayed enough BK to "fog" the enclosure.
If you sprayed that much, I am not surprised they died!

Sad

Old 07-11-2003, 10:18 PM   #15
SPJ
Then why the does Pro Exotics tell you to do that!!!!!!
They have BS info on their FAQ's pages!

Old 07-11-2003, 10:20 PM   #16
Seamus Haley
Actually...

They don't.

They tell you to fog the enclosure with the animal removed...

The part where they detail spraying the animal, if you choose to, is lower down and is surrounded by warnings about how careful you need to be not to overdo it.

Old 07-12-2003, 01:57 AM   #17
sputnik
Quote:
They tell you to fog the enclosure with the animal removed...
Why anyone would leave the animal in is beyond me!

Quote:
The part where they detail spraying the animal, if you choose to, is lower down and is surrounded by warnings about how careful you need to be not to overdo it.
And unfortunately, over did it is what SPJ did. As well as leaving the animal in the enclosure is like putting it in a gas chamber.... end result, DEATH!

Old 07-12-2003, 02:14 AM   #18
Seamus Haley
I think Steve made a completely innocent mistake, it's not as if he would do it deliberately and he certainly knows what he's doing with the animals...

It just stands as an excellent warning about being cautious whenever using any chemical substance anywhere near our animals, Steve is far from a new guy to the hobby and if he can slip and use a bit too much, anybody can.

I also agree with Kelli (I think it was Kelli) when she stated that certain species are far more sensitive than others, anything that tends to drink off it's own coils or from the sides of the tank (BRB, GTP, ATB, ETB, Candoia, etc), I would seek a different method of correcting the problem.

Old 07-12-2003, 04:50 AM   #19
sputnik
Quote:
I think Steve made a completely innocent mistake, it's not as if he would do it deliberately and he certainly knows what he's doing with the animals...
I'm not for one moment saying he did it on purpose, just stating it would be like a gas chamber effect on the animal to be locked in an enclosure with a fog of black knight in with it.

It's what you call unfortunate!

Old 07-13-2003, 06:30 PM   #20
Rash
Hasn't anyone here used Nix to kill mites? We had a case of snake mites on our blue tongued skink and two treatments cleared it right up with no adverse effects to the animal.

I don't have a link handy, but go to TARAS (The Alberta Reptile and Amphib Society) website and find it under care sheets. It was written by Nathan Curtis, a man with extensive experience in large pythons and boas.

I found the treatment to be far safer and more effective than any commercial mite prep. We didn't even have to worry about other inverts in the same room.

Rash

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!