i'm worried - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-25-2004, 09:06 PM   #1
abubbae
Question i'm worried

hello

i have two normal leos, one male, one female, both about 10 months old, in seperate encloseures.

first, my female has not been eating lately. she was quite plump but has now lost some weight.
i feed her mealworms and crickets. she stopped eating crickets first then stopped eating altogether.
anyone have any recomendations.

second, and i've written about this before, my male is super aggresive. he panics everytime is try to pick him up or clean his cage. i don't want to sound like a wuss, but i'm kind of afraid to pick him up.
suggestions????

thanks.

Old 04-25-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
abubbae
also...

i forgot...i use paper towels for the cage lining but i use spagum? moss for their hide boxes. could my female be impacted from eating this? and where can i get vermiculite that is safe for leos???

Old 04-26-2004, 01:30 AM   #3
robin d.
Re: i'm worried

Quote:
Originally posted by abubbae
hello

i have two normal leos, one male, one female, both about 10 months old, in seperate encloseures.

first, my female has not been eating lately. she was quite plump but has now lost some weight.
i feed her mealworms and crickets. she stopped eating crickets first then stopped eating altogether.
anyone have any recomendations.
she may very well be ovulating alot of time ovulating femaales will either quit eating or cut back. has she lost significant weight?

how long has she not been eating?
if she isnt ovulating she may have some internal parasites and be taken to a vet do get a fecal exam done and be treated ig this is the cause

Quote:
second, and i've written about this before, my male is super aggresive. he panics everytime is try to pick him up or clean his cage. i don't want to sound like a wuss, but i'm kind of afraid to pick him up.
suggestions????

thanks.
worst he can do it bite you... they have small teeth and most of the time does not even break the skin,however i have seen some nastey gecko bites but far a few between... it will scare you more than it will hurt.... but its not gonna kill you hehe they arent venomous just pissy sometimes. if he really scared you that much try handling him more often but just put some gloves on incase he bites... just make sure they are new clean glove that havent been used with any gardening fertilizers or house hold chemicals

Old 04-26-2004, 03:40 AM   #4
abubbae
thanks, i'll try with some gloves. i wonder if maybe he's just going through puberty???

about the female... i think she may be eating a little and i just don't notice, and she hasn't lost significant weight. i like the idea of her ovulating, but i will keep watching her very closely.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:47 AM   #5
robin d.
look at her tummy to see if you can see kinda bright pink marks in like the middle of her tummy not down low but a bit higher (comparing it to a person the bottom of the sernum area where the ribcage ends not where our ovaries {for the ladies} are or intestines are) or look for two white looking dots about the size of the size of the tip of a q-tip with no cotton on it, the stick part.... those are generally signs of ovulation.... sometimes a mid body swelling will occur too
hope this helps...
p.s. if she is pooping she is eating LOL

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!