i'm still worried - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-28-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
abubbae
i'm still worried

hi

i wrote the other day about my female leo eating trouble(eating very little). she shed last night and hard a hard time with it, and did't eat it.
i took her to a local vet and he said she's fine, but probably impacted from the spaghum moss i use for her hide box.
but she seems very very lethargic and sickly, not her usual self.

question 1: if she is impacted, what do i do? i took out the moss already.

question 2: what else should i use in her hide box and where can i get it?

thanks for any help!

Old 04-28-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
ShannanD25
Abe,
I'm far from an expert here but I would suggest a few things. First, get yourself a gram scale and weigh her daily and chart her weight loss so you can see if it is drastic or just how much weight she is losing. Second, get a few wax worms. While force feeding is by far stressful for you and your baby, if she is dropping weight fast a little fat and nutrients can help. Third, take her in a dark room with a flashlight. Shine it under her belly as if you are trying to look through her from the top. They are somewhat transparent and a blockage may show up as a dark blob in the lower intestine or that region. The vet should have done this. The vet would know if he/she is looking at an organ or a possible blockage.
Fourth, if it is warm where you are, take her out for a few minutes for some natural sunshine. If it isn't, try using a UVA/UVB light on her like the reptisun 5.0. Fifth, keep her in a quiet stressfree room. Try not to disturb her. Stress is a silent killer. When my two, first ever, Leos started dying (I found out later the pet store had been force feeding and failed to inform us of it) I tried everything, inlcuding the vet visit. We couldn't find anything. I wonder now if me constantly checkingon them or force feeding or just being at them worried sick (stress on them) contributed to their death in any way.
Also try increasing the temps for her. Get some pedialyte for her to drink.

Thats about all I can think of. Hopefully someone else will give you more tips. I know how hard it is to sit by and watch your Leo waste away. You feel so powerless to stop it and sometimes even the vets have no answers.

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2004, 10:39 PM   #3
ShannanD25
And to answer your questions...
I use the moss in all my hides. I've never had a problem. I don't see how it could cause an impaction. Maybe someone else can shed light on that.

Instead of moss try using a damp papertowel.

If she is impacted I have no idea what to do. In dogs, when they would swallow their toy ball or chew bone whole, we would ball up cooked spinach and force feed it to them. Spinach wraps around the object and moves it along smoothly....However, this is a lizard. Have you ever heard about using a few drops of castor oil? I hope someone can shed light on this one to. I'd like to know as well wha tto do in the case of an impaction. Especially when surgery isn't an option.

good luck

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!