Amazon Reptiles of Tampa - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-15-2002, 04:07 PM   #71
Neil Gubitz
Rob.... it IS true!

Tom.... if you read this.... I'm glad to see that you finally figured out what Angie was all about!!

Of course, it now leaves ME with A LOT of questions!

....Neil

Old 11-15-2002, 04:08 PM   #72
Dennis Gulla
I understand Rob, you are right. That is why I said this is a rumor right now. I was basically inquiring to anyone in the Tampa area to see if they had heard anything. Perhaps I was a little premature.

Old 11-16-2002, 06:04 PM   #73
BILLY WILLIAMS
Terrible conditions

I just stopped by amazon today, and found out that angie's firing was true and that dave lawson is now running the show, at least to my observance. However, the store looks like it is in worser shape now than before. It appears that they brought in some new animals, whom all look sick, lethargic, and emaciated. There is a beautiful frilled dragon there where it is so skinny, it's hip bones are noticeable. Not to mention the paper thin uromastyx, etc. Not to mention that it was about sixty degrees here in tampa today, and they had the front door wide open, where the inside of the shops temp had to be in the sixties. Tom Frost has to do something fast and radical in order to bring his invested business back from the dead. With this continuing, I see Neil rising back up to the top of the food chain here in tampa.

Bob Mendyk
a.k.a. billy williams(just a screen name)

Old 11-16-2002, 08:43 PM   #74
Gary Walsch
Angie was fired and Dave was hired ......... mmmmm . Out of the frying pan and into the fire I guess would be the appropriate statement here. Great business decision there Tom, I have a baby nile monitor I will trade you for a snow boa ......

Gary

Old 11-16-2002, 09:09 PM   #75
blkmagic
Quote:
However, the store looks like it is in worser shape now than before. It appears that they brought in some new animals, whom all look sick, lethargic, and emaciated. There is a beautiful frilled dragon there where it is so skinny, it's hip bones are noticeable. Not to mention the paper thin uromastyx, etc
Well Bob when was the last time you were there, you must go there alot so you should know Dave just took over. I was there today and the store wasnt in that bad of shape considering all the people that were in and out of there the two hours I was there. The store could use some work but when it does 1600 in a day what do u think a store is going to look like.
Bob why don't you be fair and go introduce yourself to the staff at Amazon and tell them what you think. I'm sure they will listen to anything you have to offer.
The animals yes some of them are skinny but you have to realize angie did take care of the animals for the last eight months and Dave just started taking care of them, Most of the ones that are in bad health are in the back being treated for there problems.Im sure if you give it about a week or two the store will be back in shape where it was when it was opened. But you should stop in and introduce yourself.

Quote:
Angie was fired and Dave was hired ......... mmmmm . Out of the frying pan and into the fire I guess would be the appropriate statement here. Great business decision there Tom, I have a baby nile monitor I will trade you for a snow boa ......
And this is for everyone else Tom is a very smart business man and yes it was a good decision. Why say out of the frying pan and into the fire i'm sure you don't know Dave and show me a bad guy post on him where he has screw someone on a deal the only one I can recall is the saga that happened a while ago with all the shops being broken into. IF Dave is such a bad guy and his rep sucks than why does his tables at almost all the shows he goes to sell out. Just my thoughts

Old 11-16-2002, 09:45 PM   #76
Gary Walsch
Hey Jason,

I never said that Tom was a bad business man or that he was not smart. What I did say was that it was a great business decision ( being sarcastic in my statement ). I would not buy from him ( Dave ) and that is my perogotive as a person who is capable of independent though who is picky as to who he buys his animals from. I buy my animals from people I like and people I feel take good care of their animals and provide me with quality animals at a fair price. I also take into consideration my personal feelings about the person I am buying from. And what does the fact that I don't know him mean ? I don't know Jesse Underhill either and guess what ..... I wouldn't buy from him either. Something else you can think about is this ...... What does selling out a table at a show mean ? You can sell anything for the right price and it doesn't mean squat. Maybe because you are a friend of his is the reason you are so quick to come to his defense, but maybe you should chill out because I was not attacking anyone, just stating my opinion. By the way his name has come up on more than one thread ( Dave ) and your right I don't know him but other people do and those are the people I know and trust, and beleive. This is an insight on how my opinion was formed and why I said what I said in my previous post. Before I forget I have absolutely nothing against Tom and didn't mean it to qppear that way and if it did I apologize, but my opinion of his his decision remains the same.

Gary

Old 11-16-2002, 10:56 PM   #77
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Jason,

First I would like to start out by saying I have never visited Amazon reptiles in Tampa and have no idea personally what the store looks like inside or out. But Your comment
Quote:
The store could use some work but when it does 1600 in a day what do u think a store is going to look like.
is rediculous. What does doing $1600 in sales have to do with a store being clean, cages clean, and animals in good shape? I am not a store other than a facility and I do $1600+ on many days during my peak times. My facility is not dirty, nor my cages uncleaned, or my animals skinny. Maybe if a store was being run by only 1 person and the store was slammed all day long and all night long, maybe dirty cages and/or unclean store. That is what employees are for, and what before and after normal buisness hours are. At my facility I am the only person working there, I go through and clean cages and check on all my animals at least 3 times a day (most days more like 5) If I were a retail store the size Amazon is from what I hear, I would have more than one employee working there ( I am sure Amazon does as well) and employees in a retail store are not just there to sit on their butts and get a paycheck, They are there for sales, and when not with a customer they are to check cages, clean any that appear dirty, and to keep an eye on the animals and remove any that appear less than 100%. I use to manage Retail Store many years ago and did not allow my employees to just sit on their butt not sit on the phone with personal calls. I too then and now worked my tail off the keep the store looking in tip top shape. If Angie was the one responsible for some fot eh problems at Amazon, then I am glad she is gone. If Dave can handle the job and make the store a success great for him and Tom.

Old 11-17-2002, 12:16 AM   #78
Gary Walsch
Let me also clarify that I have never been in Tom's store and I have no clue what it looks like and my opinion is in no way a slam against him.

Gary

Old 11-17-2002, 12:59 AM   #79
Dave Lawson
I would like to say a couple things here,

I personally would like to invite Bob and the rest of the Tampa Bay area people to Amazon and please feel free to tell me what you think the catch is please do no not lurk around introduce yourself to me. Bob since you seem to visit often come by tomarrow and point out to me these animals that are in your opinion sickly.

Gary, I respect your opinion that is your right but please tell me where I ever sold a bad animal, scammed or conned someone or had a bad deal. I sell healthy animals at good prices. The store temp never fell below 80 degrees. The store was very busy today but when we had time cages were cleaned. It is a great store with healthy animals But we are having to restructure and re-train the employees to the proper way to care for the animals and it will take time. So I will ask to not be so hard on the store until I have a chance to bring it back up to speed remember "ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY".

Bob, please stop in and introduce yourself.

Old 11-17-2002, 08:49 AM   #80
T. Granger
I will say I was in Amazon myself yesterday, I did not see the things that Billy saw. Cages and store were clean, reptiles looked great and I saw no animals that looked bad. I will say that In my opinion Lawson may want to has to get better educated people working for him. There are 2 people that are very UN-educated in reptiles and their basic husbandry, the best thing is to keep them away from customers. I will stop in today to meet you face to face as you want Dave.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!