Movement of thread concerning Dan Quinn- Manhattan Herps - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #11
surfrkidts
I'm sorry for the confusion. The original thread was getting out of hand, it needed to be moved. No one wanted to do it, so I did it myself. As far as the real purpose of this thread, there's more than one.

First of all, the thread this was moved from was arguing over picture enhancement. Basically Dan and Ryan and Val disagree on the true colors of the gecko. Others also said the contrast and saturation in Dan's pics is noticeable, not all chose to post it.

Secondly, Dan and Ryan had a deal it'd be best for ryans documents to explain if dan will grant permission. The gecko was involved, and few of us knew about it. I realize that I cannot fight this battle and only started the thread to move the topic. Ryan is compiling his documents to get them ready, and he will take it over from here.

Again I'm sorry for a lack of purpose. Theres a lot going on offscenes and I can't remember what else needs to be said! Details on the deal are now up to Ryan and Dan. As far as enhancing the pictures I will continue to fight it as well as many others who trust Ryan and Val as the truly great people they are and recognize their dedication to the industry. I will be the first to say this wasn't brought up as a random quarrel, it deals with the business ethics of Dan Quinn, which is why it was brought here in the first place.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:05 PM   #12
Valerie
We never wanted this to go to the BOI, infact we never wanted to have to bring up anything dealing with the business surrounding the gecko. This all started because the gecko was sent to us for 'payment', the deal obviously went bad, and we ended up sending her back to Dan. It's not about different lighting at all, we saw a yellow gecko for months while she was here, and Dan represents her as an orange color.

Tyler moved the thread because it started out in the leopard gecko forum about the pictures, it was getting out of hand and webslave said it needed to be stopped. Unfortunately since I wasn't a paying member, he would not move the thread, so Tyler did.

As Ryan said earlier, he is waiting on permission from Dan to post emails and IM conversations so that the details of the deal can be seen for what they are. I'm sorry that so far nothing has come up, but like I said we really didn't want this to go to the BOI..it just sort of escalated to the point where it needed to be moved.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #13
KelliH
Oh man, give me a break! Obviously this picture stuff really has nothing to do with Dan's picture and everything to do with the stuff about Dan's mom's website.

BTW, some of the Coolpix cameras do tend to cause reds to "pop" out. No need to "reset the settings" on the camera, that's the way it shoots on Auto. I have the 2500 and the 4500 and both do it to some extent, although the 2500 seems to do it the most. The only reason I even bought a Coolpix 2500 is because Alberto of A & M told me that is what camera he uses, and also Ron Tremper told me the same thing (he has 3 or 4 of them, seriously). HAha I just had to see what the big deal was with a 3 or 4 year old camera.

I think that pics taken with the Coolpix (at least the 2500 and 4500) show off the animals well, and the way the look in indoor pics with flash is very close to the way the look outdoors in the sunlight, which is as, well, the way they truly look! Here are two examples:

SHTCT, indoors with flash

same gecko outdoors no flash

Bell Hybino Pair indoors with flash

same pair outside no flash

Old 01-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #14
Golden Gate Geckos
If correspondence was sent to you, it is now yours and no permission is needed to post it. I would also like some clarification on what the REAL issue is concerning this post.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #15
KelliH
Quote:
I would also like some clarification on what the REAL issue is concerning this post.
I hear that, sister.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #16
Chameleon Company
Ditto's. I knew I was stupid when I started reading this thread, and now at the current end of it, I feel even dumber ! Help !!

Old 01-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #17
surfrkidts
Kelli, as much as this thread is for the pictures as the website. It will be used for both, the documents will shed light on both subjects I am hoping.

The camera issue is arguable from all sides. I understand about the reds and oranges, what I beleive is the real issue is that Ryan and Val disagree in the true color of the gecko compared to Dan posting that the contrasted was the natural color and then going back on it. By the way that post is nowhere to be found at the moment. If the contrast was high, how long has it been? I've never felt that all of Dan's pictures necessarily showed what someone would see in person. Some are more accurate than others. Dan posting pictures completely different than anything ryan and val had ever seen was the catalyst for this, both issues should be addressed.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #18
Junkyard
So what this comes down to is, Dan is misrepresenting his animals. Am I on the right track now?

Old 01-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #19
Valerie
That is part of my complaint with Dan. Like I said in the original thread, the reason something was said at this point is because I just took that gecko to UPS (on December 28th) and sent her back to Dan. I saw her for months while she was here, I saw her right before we closed the box..and the pictures Dan posted are not accurate. If she doesn't look right, then what makes me think I should trust the other photos? I am not denying that many of the animals in Dan's collection are amazing, but I do believe that his animals are misrepresented to some extent.

Ryan is putting together a post right now so that the confusion will be cleared up. Please hang tight.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #20
SPJ
Boy. This thread makes me glad I went back to keeping a few animals as a hobbyist rather than sticking with the business side of the herp world.
Too much BS.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!