Beardie's Personalities? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-26-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
-JayDog-
Beardie's Personalities?

I've heard great things about a Bearded Dragon's personailty. I was wondering if it would be better to get a beardie young if you wanted to "bond" with it. Does it take time for the beardie to get use to a human? Becuase I'm thinking about getting a Beardie, i was wondering if somebody can detail how they interact with humans. Do they like us? Will they just sit on our shoulders? Do they like getting pet? Cuddeling? Any info would help.

Thanks

Old 01-26-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
Vince
Beardies are pretty cool, they have natural behavior that makes them more likeable then most reptiles. As adults they don't mind being handled or sitting on your shoulder, but watch out they also don't mind going to the bathroom on your shoulder. as for getting a younger one to bond with you , I doubt no matter how long you have your beardie it would like you more then it would like any one else. young reptiles are always more feisty and dont like to be handled a lot. try hand feeding thats always a good way to "bond" with a beardie. they wil associate you with food, and will get excited when they see you. I used to have mine in a large patio ecloser and when i walked in they would all come running. but they did that for anyone who came in. i dont know how you would cuddle a lizard, but try not to hurt it. you can also walk them on a harness witch is pretty cool, and is a great way to stay safe if you bring your beardie outside on your shoulder.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
sugarkornbizkits
I had a younger beardie (about 3 months old, ended up trading him for a leopard gecko) he hated to be held and was always trying to get away. Now i have one that is a little over a year old and he loves to be held. Every time I go by the enclosure, he starts scrambling, trying to get out. He's been like this since I got him in Nov. The only time he tries to get away from me is when I hold him and my hands are cold, which I can understand why he's trying to get away. He likes to get petted, to. He usually falls asleep when I pet him. He's content to sit on my shoulder, but prefers to lay on my belly since it's warmer. He's never gone to the bathroom on me, either.

Old 02-05-2005, 02:38 AM   #4
akus74
Wink Bearded as pets

Hello,

I bought my first bearded 2 years ago and he is a great pet in fact he is so great we recently just bought a 7 month old female and 4 babies. so now i have 6 bearded dragons. As babies they are very fiesty and a little harder to handle but it can be done. As for my 2 year old and 7 month old they love when you open the cage to take them out. But like the other person said they will go to the bahtroom on you in a blink of a eye.

Whats good about the beardie's is people who visit you also think they are neat as they lay there ans bask in the heat lamp or on the heat rock. They do like to that a hiding place so make sure if you get one you have a hiding place for him or her.

I am hoping to breed this summer as My one female will be 12 months old in may and almost ready to breed.

Well good luck with your decsion.

Alisha

Old 02-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
vermithrax
I wouldnt trad my BD for anything. Hes very personable. He will sit with me for hours while we watch tv and loves car rides. We even take him outside for walks with us when it is warm enough out. He can be pretty goofy sometimes to...like waiting for more crickets to come out of his "magic cup" even though theres 10 standing right behind him lol.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #6
ladyserpent7
aww, your BDs sound so cute, but Vince, how do you hand feed a BD. Don't they eat crickets, which love to jump

Old 02-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
Vince
just pinch them in between your fingers not to hard anough to smoosh them but hard anough for them not to get away. they also eat veggies and meal worms and other insects.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #8
willows chelle
i also love my beardies.
they totally like to be held and my older male loves to cuddle.
he gets under a blanket and watches tv with me all the time.
he has pooped on me one time. it was real yucky...but i survived.
he closes his eyes and falls asleep sometimes when i hold him.
i love my beardies.

my female is younger, and kinda skittish still.
so i just pet her and hold her briefly every day.
and i give her lots of treats she likes, so she is beginning to like me more.

i HIGHLY recommend beardies as pets.
just be sweet to them, they are too kind and trusting..its easy to take advantage of them!

Old 02-13-2005, 10:33 PM   #9
Bringerofdoom
Bearded dragons makes great pets. I got one for my 25th b-day last year from my girlfriend and i wouldnt trade my beardie for anything. Very nice and calm she will sit on my leg for hours when im outside.

just a word of advice though. a younger beardie will naturally be skittish and may take several months of handling to make it used to you. Just use patience and it will pay off in the end.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!