Breeding groups, female that are always with males. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-23-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
Xavier
Breeding groups, female that are always with males.

I knwo its always best to have a female recoop after breedign and egg laying, I've heard 3 month after its all done. Anyways if they male is always with the females who will that ever happen?
Xavier

Old 04-23-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
Snakebyt
i rotate my male thru different breeding groups throughout breeding season, so he is not constantly with the same females, in most cases that is.
If a female gets to getting thin i move her to a tank all her own till she get fattened back up. After breeding season i seperate all the males to there seperate enclosures till the next season.

Old 04-23-2004, 10:45 AM   #3
KelliH
For years I kept my leopard geckos in breeding groups of 1.3 or 1.4 yeah round, and never had any problems. Now I keep almost all of my geckos in seperate enclosures, and they do seem to do better that way, especially the females. But I never had problems keeping them together year round really, just seems like the females gain the weight back a little quicker now after the breeding season.

Old 04-23-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
me, too...

I keep my males in with their females all year, and if one of the girls gets too thin she gets pulled and put in her own enclosure for TLC until she gains her weight back.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:31 PM   #5
Bryan Self
A few years ago I pulled all my males after breeding and my females started fighting. I think they were trying to establish dominace among themselves. So I keep my males with the females year round, and pull females that are getting thin to seperate enclosures. I have found this works best for me.

Old 04-24-2004, 01:32 AM   #6
magick-bears
Hi Kelli,

I would love to hear more about your setup. You are the fist large scale breeder I have heard of that does not do colony breeding. How do you manage to produce almost 2000 (saw you post that on another link) hatchlings with everything individual?

Back when I was breeding, I always felt that keeping them individualy was better for the animals as well as my record keeping. After all I Knew exactly who laid what eggs and how many they laid in the year, ect. But once I started to produce over 500 hatchlings a year a few breeder convinced me I could double or triple my production (after all I was doing this commercialy) with out an increase in work by colony breeding and that no commercial breeder would ever try and hatch large numbers on an individual bases.

I plan on keeping them individualy as I start again. But would love to know how to plan to keep them on a solo bases as I grow.

Thanks,
Jeff

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!