Breeding Nelsons MilkSnake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-09-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
Goanna
Breeding Nelsons MilkSnake

I was given an albino Nelsons Milksnake several months ago. She had mites so I kept her in isolation and treated her accordingly. Now that shes clean she's in my reptile room with my other colubrids.

I decided to finally sex her last night and she probed a female, which is what I had always assumed she was, but now I know for sure.

She is a bit shy of 30" long, and not much thicker around then a nickel. I was thinking she was close to full size but a couple of care sheets I found last night said they often reach 40" - 50".

So, is this female old enough to breed now (If you cant tell, I have never delt with Milksnakes before, lol. Corns and Kings yes, but shes my first milk)?

I don't know if I should bother rushing and trying to find a male now for this season (and damn, those lone albino males can be expensive, lol) or just wait till next season to see if she gets a bit bigger.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
She's old enough to breed. I rarely see a nelsoni over 3 feet or so. They sure don't get 40-50" often. I doubt you'd ever find a 50 inch specimen.
I have several adults, all 4 years old or so and none are over 3 feet.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Goanna
Thanks Clay. When I first got her I did think she was close to full size, but then when I read those caresheets stating they could get bigger, I had to think maybe she wasnt full grown yet.

Happen to have an adult male Albino or Het Albino whos up for a breeding loan?

Guess its time for me to go post a wanted ad, lol.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
I didn't even cool my nelsoni this year so I couldn't guarantee they'd even produce fertile eggs. I didn't really intend on breeding any of my colubrids this year.
I do have an extra 04 male but he wouldn't be breedable until next season.

You might have a hard time finding a breeder male right now. Most of the people who have adults that are cooled and ready to breed are intending to do so themselves so wouldn't be offering the adults until the end of the breeding season at which point it would be likely that your female had already cycled out.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goanna
Happen to have an adult male Albino or Het Albino whos up for a breeding loan? .
Depends on where in NY you are...My albino nelsons have all been cooled and should be ready to go shortly. Obviously, since I have plans for him, he isn't going anyplace...but I might consider letting your girl come over for a play date

Old 03-09-2006, 03:13 PM   #6
Goanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Depends on where in NY you are...My albino nelsons have all been cooled and should be ready to go shortly. Obviously, since I have plans for him, he isn't going anyplace...but I might consider letting your girl come over for a play date
I am in Staten Island, NY. Doesnt look like we are that close, lol.

Old 03-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #7
hhmoore
nope - but breedable males are easier (and cheaper) to come by than breedable females

Old 03-09-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
Goanna
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
nope - but breedable males are easier (and cheaper) to come by than breedable females
Yeah, I am hoping someone has an extra male lying around, lol. Guess I am lucky my freebie turned out to be female .

Old 03-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #9
reptilebreeder
She may be old enough, but given that she is only the diameter of a nickel, and the fact her care might have been subpar, I would be worried whether she is prime for a breeding this year. This is just MHO, as I can't see if she is in fact skinny, nor know what kind of care the snake was getting. The fact it had mites, which by itself is not necessarily and indication of poor care, but it was also given to you is what makes me wonder. I'd probably wait until next year, and in the meantime look for a mate. That would also help, in that it would probably be a lot easier to find a lone male, at the end of the breeding season.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #10
Goanna
It got mites by being exposed to some fresh imports, as it was in a pet shop. The owner was not having luck getting rid of the mites and didnt want them spreading to all the other herps, so he told me if I can take it home and rid it of mites, I can have it (I used to work at this pet shop, the owner wouldnt just have given it away to anyone).

Luckily, I had a can of Black Knight ready which did the trick. I kept her in another room far away from my herps for several weeks and treated her 2x, just in case any eggs hatched. She fed throughout the whole ordeal, never had problems eating.

Just today she took 2 frozen/thawed hoppers. For her length the girth appears about right, she doesnt look skinny at all. Nelsons Milksnakes are normally a little slender also, arent they?

I just took her out and looked again, shes definitly a little bigger round then a nickel but not much.

Also, what exacly is the value of an adult female albino nelsons right now? I have no intent on selling her, I am just curious as to the value of this snake. Even if I dont find a mate shes a really cool snake. Very docile, and even people who dont like snakes seem to think shes "cute", lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!