Breeding Pairs: Separate or Not? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
HerpAddict
Question Breeding Pairs: Separate or Not?

Hi Everyone,

I decided a while back that I was prepared adequately to breed a pair of my leos. I have kept the male and female together in a 'natural-style' enclosure. The female was about 14monthes old and 62grams when I put her in with him. He is a year old and 75grams. She has been slowly losing weight through the three sets of eggs she has laid so far, to the point now where she is around 50grams, depending on the day. I really don't want her to lose any more weight than she already has. Her appetite hasn't been keeping up with her egg production it seems, as she will only eat for the first week in her two week cycles between eggs. I try to pack in as much as she will take, but after this third set, she's only taken one medium silk, and one butterworm. Normally she will take about 3 supers a day in her 'gorging periods'.

So, I was wondering if I should remove the male, or not. I have heard some people say that they leave their pairs together year round, but I wasn't sure if there was some cooling involved to stop the breeding or if it naturally occurred? I would love to hear some experienced advice!

Thank-you,
Amanda

Old 03-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
ByRandom
In my experience the female will tell the male "Hey back off!" If you want to try to pack more nutrients into her, try feeding her a pinkie as well as a few waxworms. Try mealworms or roaches, also. I would try anything. Pinkies will pack on weight and add calcium. Losing 10 grams isn't uncommon at all.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
HerpAddict
I actually did try a pinkie a few weeks ago, but she bit it, and shook it, but didn't seem to know what to do with this squirming little thing. Then she wouldn't even look at them when I put them infront of her.

I guess I worry that the male will be over aggressive and not listen to her. This is his first time breeding as well, so I haven't really been able to learn if he is aggressive or not. Whenever I've caught them in the act, she's been submissive it seems, so he didn't appear to be overly aggressive.

So do you think she will tell him off if she realises she's losing too much weight, or just when she's laid enough eggs in her mind?

Thanks,
Amanda

Old 03-13-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
ByRandom
If you are worried about them, then I would separate them. It's just to put your mind at ease. My females have been persistent in their "Not tonight" attitudes. They can be pretty fearsome. If I were you, I would separate them. Just to make sure he isn't aggravating her and such.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!