Enough is enough with the classifieds (*or* Why you cannot reply to classified ads) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
WebSlave
Stop! Enough is enough with the classifieds (*or* Why you cannot reply to classified ads)

*** For anyone reading this thread without reading other more recent threads about this issue, please refer to -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=454667. In a nutshell, a public poll showed that the majority of the members voting preferred being able to have replies to classified ads re-eneabled. So that was done. Probably no real sense in reading the rest of this thread with that in mind. ***

I've been looking over the statistics for infractions that the mods have had to dish out, and BY FAR they are spending most of their time in the classifieds section. Problems such as disruptive posts, downright nastiness, members creating false accounts to bump their ads, getting someone also to alternate as a "bump buddy", and all sorts of replies to ads that really have no business being there.

Two problems here: (1) This is giving my mods far more work than they need to be putting in here as volunteers. And (2), the classifieds section has become actually HOSTILE to advertisers trying to sell their animals or merchandise on this site.

This NEEDS to stop.

Yes, some is simply ignorance of new members not knowing the ropes. But they get an infraction for their actions, then get pissed about it and sometimes wind up leaving. So there is no real good way to handle this after the fact. Do I really want to just out right ban anyone immediately who causes these problems? I don't think so. That just tends to rub people the wrong way and can be self defeating.

As I have indicated in the past, there is a simple solution to this sort of problem, but obviously it is not perfect or I would have already implemented it. And that is, to simply STOP all replies to classified threads. Rather than just do the cold turkey approach, I will first limit replies to classified threads so that only paid members can utilize that function. I will then evaluate how effective that has been, and if not enough, then that function ceases for ALL members. The classifieds will become strictly a single post display of what an advertiser has to offer, and that is it. Of course they will need to provide adequate contact info within that post, but that should be common sense anyway.

Another drawback is that other members will not be able to draw attention to a problem with the classified ad, whether about the seller/buyer him or her self, or misrepresentation or misidentification of the animal or other merchandise. Unfortunate, but that simply puts the burden on anyone considering engaging in a transaction with the OP to DO THEIR OWN HOMEWORK. Make certain you know who you are dealing with and what you are buying (or selling). The BOI is here for everyone to use. But I cannot force a horse to drink if it refuses to do so when provided water.

Another drawback is that post count here will likely drop quite a bit. But heck, there are nearly 5,000 entries in the infraction log, and that is telling me that there is a problem that really needs to be addressed here.

Yes, I know some people won't like this, and others will like it. Just par for the course here, but I believe I made it quite clear that I will do what is needed to make this site better. At least from my own perspective. I have no illusions, and will make NO attempts to try to please everyone. If you are one of those who do not like the change, I am sorry about that, but there doesn't appear to be much of an option.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Lucille
Since this is the feedback forum, I have some. I just replied to a post and when I looked at the right hand column of the forum listing it simply said turtles/tortoises. I did not realize I was in classified territory until I received an infraction.
I am very supportive of your site, and having a strong classified and the BOI on the same site has many advantages.
Perhaps I should have been paying more attention, but just as a brainstorming idea, could classifieds have a slightly different font, or some other way to set them off?

Old 06-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
JColt
I find replies and chat in classifieds to be disruptive anyway. Most people cannot even read when someone says, email or phone only. The report button should be enough to alert a mod that a fishy post has been made in classifieds and handled.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
MikeCurtin
I, too, have some feedback.

It seems a bit contradictory for the home of the BOI to be so rabidly opposed to its members asking questions and/or pointing out inconsistencies or misrepresentations within its own classified ads. Yes, some members, including myself, have been disruptive. However, the fact remains that in some cases, Fauna is becoming a safe haven for the very types of unscrupulous dealers that the BOI was created to protect against.

I have a feeling there will be surge of new activity on the Board of Inquiry.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCurtin View Post

It seems a bit contradictory for the home of the BOI to be so rabidly opposed to its members asking questions and/or pointing out inconsistencies or misrepresentations within its own classified ads.
Mike, if replies to classified ads were limited only to the examples you give, there wouldn't be a problem to address in this manner. As Rich stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webslave
......... disruptive posts, downright nastiness, members creating false accounts to bump their ads, getting someone also to alternate as a "bump buddy", and all sorts of replies to ads that really have no business being there.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:

It seems a bit contradictory for the home of the BOI to be so rabidly opposed to its members asking questions and/or pointing out inconsistencies or misrepresentations within its own classified ads. Yes, some members, including myself, have been disruptive. However, the fact remains that in some cases, Fauna is becoming a safe haven for the very types of unscrupulous dealers that the BOI was created to protect against.

"Rabidly opposed"?

Exaggerate much?

Old 06-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
akonitony
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
"Rabidly opposed"?

Exaggerate much?
I've told 'em a million times to stop exaggerating.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Laura Fopiano
I like the idea of no chatter in the classifieds. Yes there can be some untrustworthy sellers and that's what the BOI is for.

I can't go to other sites and type my opinion on their adds, but I can use the BOI to look the so-called sellers up.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Dennis Hultman
Quote:

Mike, I think everyone just needs to use the BOI for that purpose. You can simply link to the ads on the BOI of questionable situations. If people can't find the BOI on the same site they are using the classifieds at, I don't know if there is much hope in saving them from a bad transaction. I wouldn't call that a safe haven but more of a change in format. Most places you can't even post in the classifieds let alone state that the person is bad to do business with. Here they just have to check another forum on the same site.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
hhmoore
Quote:

We are not "rabidly opposed" to members asking questions or pointing out inconsistencies/misrepresentations...however, when those members become argumentative or harassing, it becomes a problem. The BOI has been separated from the classifieds for a long time, with BOI type posts only being allowed on the BOI - links may be posted in an ad, but going into details, or rehashing the issue, has not been permitted. The point that is apparently being missed is that the entire reason that the classifieds weren't closed to posts a long time ago was because we didn't want to hinder people from asking relevant questions, from pointing out misrepresentations, or posting a BOI link....unfortunately, this is a matter of the problematic people & their behavior affecting the many members that function within the guidelines.

Bigger pieces of the problem are the people that jump into someone's ad directing viewers to another seller (or trying to sell their own stuff), the sarcastic comments about pricing, the chatter between other members which is unrelated to the sale (we have discussion forums, chat, and PMs for that), and the piling on that occurs in any number of circumstances. (there are other issues, but I'm trying not to belabor the points and drag this out)
We've put a lot of time and effort into trying to curtail these things, and there have been a ton of posted warnings. It just seems like for every person that gets the message and modifies his behavior, there is at least one more person getting ready to jump into that spot.

This decision is in response to a clear, and growing, problem. In a recent moderator discussion, every one of us acknowledged the beneficial reasons for allowing posted responses, regardless of our personal preferences. The choice not to pull the plug on responses entirely is because we consider those reasons not only valid, but compelling. I'm sure there are some that will say this is just another way of making people pay for what should be free; but that isn't the case. I doubt that many people would become paid subscribers just to post responses in the classifieds, lol....but, the hope is that the paid subscribers have a little more respect for the rules and guidelines (and that they aren't going to piss their contribution away by repeatedly disrupting ads, receiving infractions until they are banned).