What to do about a weird situation? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #31
darkbloodwyvern
Hello,
just figured I'd point you to a site that IMO, is a good substitute if you can't afford a book.

http://www.anapsid.org/

If you need to give the snake away, I know a girl who does rescue and is very good with balls. I would aslo advise giving Lickety a good break, like Seamus said, five days or even a week with as little interaction as possible. As soon as you get her new tupperware home, transfer everything in and lock her up tight, check in once a day and change the water every two-three days and make sure the temps/humidity stay in the ideal range.
If you seach this forum, over and over people ask how to get their balls feeding again, and people suggest all kinds of methods that seem to help. read through everything and take notes, and follow seamus's advice and use a variety of prey items, but keep them around the same size, if the prey is bigger around than the snake, DON'T OFFER IT! too big of a prey item can stress them out, if they don't est it, they can be afraid of the huge rat, or if they do eat it, it will take much more energy to digest something that big and make cause regurgitation. When she does finally feed, leave her alone until she is eating regularily. if she will eat straight through a month, you may be able to start handling her a very short time, move super slowly and breathe normally. if you are stressed, she will sense it and become nervous. do ever touch her head or move fast when holding her. if she stops eating immediately stop handling her.

i would recommend getting books about your animals as soon as possible. Otherwise, anapsid.org is pretty good info. If someone's site has anything about microwaving prey items (not the water to heat them in, the actual mouse or rat), feeding "unconventional" prey items (hot dogs, chicken legs, kittens , things that do not resemble prey animals a snake can encounter in the wild), then do not take advice from them. People who do not hold the animal in a supportive way (dangling them by the tail, grabbing their head) or who do things like leave live prey in the cage with the snake overnight and doing irresponsible things with their pest and should not be listened to. You have to develop a BS-radar and be critical of those who are telling you to do weird things. It helps to search the forums here with some keywords and read up on past advice people have given. Generally the more experienced regulars like Cat and Seamus have spot on solutions to common problems. All you have to do is write down some notes and study the information and ask here if you have questions about anything. But you alos have to listen to the advice. Few people here will steer you wrong, and usually someone will jump in to correct any mistakes that someone may tell you.

People can get snappy because they do have to rescue people's abused pets, or deal with unethical breeders. I myself have asked some dumb questions and gotten answers that were more harsh than necessary, but I got an answer by asking for as much detail as possible. I don't take it personally, i do what the experienced breeder with healthy snakes advise me to do. You DO have to ask why, people don't always think to tell you why not to feed chicken legs because for many snake owners, being told not to by someone who is in the know is enough.
anyways, sorry for rambling, but i hope the site is helpful for you. Study it well and it will hopefully give you some god insights.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #32
hhmoore
MK

Old 05-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #33
Leighanne
whats mk mean?

Old 05-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #34
garweft
MK is the initials of the person who runs the site listed above by darkbloodwyvern.

The "author" of that site is a person who seems to think that no one but her knows how to care for reptiles. Meanwhile she always seems to provide wrong info on things that she claims to be an expert on. She is against pretty much everything about the reptile pet trade, including captive breeding. She is really just an animal rights activist in a poor disguise. Do yourself a favor, skip her site and buy The Ball Python Manual. It is only around $10 and has a good bit of useful information in it. If you must use a website stick to a respected breeder like NERD, Mike Wilbanks, or the Barkers.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:34 AM   #35
Leighanne
I tried feeding again tonite. I did exactly like Seamus said and nothing but since its f/t I'll leave it in there over night as I usually do. I HAVE done everything people have suggested...just about. I didn't know about Seamus's paper bag trick and will try that in a few days. I tried splitting the Mouse open tonite, nothing. Because shes not eating does that mean she has a weak feeding response. I think she does at least right now. She used to eat for me all the time? I've tried scenting, at dark always. ????? An yeah I've already read that site. ??????

Old 05-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #36
Leighanne
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=20257

So are there any more chats with this guy?

Old 05-02-2007, 02:10 AM   #37
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
I tried feeding again tonite. I did exactly like Seamus said and nothing but since its f/t I'll leave it in there over night as I usually do. I HAVE done everything people have suggested...just about. I didn't know about Seamus's paper bag trick and will try that in a few days. I tried splitting the Mouse open tonite, nothing. Because shes not eating does that mean she has a weak feeding response. I think she does at least right now. She used to eat for me all the time? I've tried scenting, at dark always. ????? An yeah I've already read that site. ??????
No, you didn't.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:15 AM   #38
Dennis Hultman
Kristin, You couldn't even get through the first sentence.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:42 AM   #39
Leighanne
New plan. Putting her in my 15 qt. tub tommorrow with folded newpaper on the bottom, a few crunched up pieces of newspaper, her water bowl, no hides and a towel covering her smaller tub, so she can't see the outside. What do you think?

Old 05-02-2007, 02:44 AM   #40
Leighanne
Dennis I meant I didn't get her to eat but left the f/t in there and will remove in the morning. I work early.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!