What to do about a weird situation? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-02-2007, 02:57 AM   #41
hhmoore
Kristin, when you put her in the smaller box, leave her alone for a week or two. That includes not trying to feed her (which I believe is what Dennis was referring to above.)

Splitting the mouse open does nothing but make it smell bad and create a mess...it might serve a purpose with some reptiles, and even some snakes ("braining" a pink or fuzzy), but it is unlikely to have much impact on a BP.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:39 AM   #42
Leighanne
Didn't know that Thanks. Before tonite I hadn't tried in a week. At least.....its almost 4 in the morning here but I do believe its been a week. I'll set the 15 qt up tommorrow and leave her alone for awhile though and then we'll see.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:25 AM   #43
cahrens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley
I'd give her four or five days inside an enclosure in a controlled environment with the absolute bare minimum of interaction- check her water and thermometer and call it a day. Then I would take a frozen thawed mouse,
4 or 5 days to get settled in. Not 1 day. You caught her on the 30th and tried feeding her then next day. Leave that poor snake alone. I keep hoping you will see the light and pass it along to someone else who can properly care for it. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #44
BalloonzForU
Kristin,

I just read through this thread and I only see that you've said she's setup correctly, but no mention of her temps. Can you please tell us what they are?

Old 05-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #45
Leighanne
Hot side 92 cool side 86, and humidity 65%. I just woke up and just checked. I wonder why her cool side is so high this morning?

Old 05-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #46
hhmoore
room temperature may be warmer.
Is that 92 directly on top of the heat pad (I don't recall what type you are using), or is it measured somewhere else?

*another thing to think about - when you put her into the smaller box, you will likely have to fiddle with the heat a bit to get it right. If you are at 92 (right on top of the heat), don't mess with whatever regulator you are using, but change the positioning of the tub over it to allow for a bigger or smaller heated area.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #47
Leighanne
Yeah thats 92 directly over the heat source. The Thermostat probe is right overtop the uth. I don't expect you guys to remember, thats silly we read to many posts. I use a ten gallon Zoomed uth with a Zoomed Thermostat, and yes guys I've done my Research....plenty, actually on Thermostats and the Zoomed fitted my needs. You of course wouldn't use one for a rack or especially an incubator. Its worked pretty good though for just her.

Thank You Harold for the info. I will of course do that and your probably right about the room temp flux. Its the warmest room in the house with the lowest traffic but it does flux. In Winter I ran the space heater at night and because of it the room was warmer at night then in day. We ran it whenever we were of course not home so there would be no fire hazards.

I run a fan in that room when I'm home through Summer to circulate my air, of course not pointed onto any tanks. It points directly on me and my bed. I like to sleep with the fan on me under the covers. Reptiles are on one side of the room and Rodents on the other. So the fans to keep us a little cooler and circulate air flow and I have an air purifier in my room to. Do you think my bedroom fluxes really bother anybody that much though?? I don't know and I wouldn't know what else to do. Without the fan it can get scorching hot and without the space heater its REALLY cold in the early morning. Nobody seems to mind it. The Leos are happy and my Rats don't shiver or pant. I just hope an 86 cool side doesn't bother her that bad? USUALLY it only fluxes within a few degrees. Thats the first time I've seen that but thats because I actually had to be up this morning for once in awhile. It doesn't drop or rise drastically either. Its slow.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #48
Pink Lady Exotics
Kristin, when's the last time she ate? What was it? Was she eating that type of prey regularly before she started fasting?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #49
Leighanne
The very last time she ate was March 27th, before that she had a meal on March 13th and was regular before that. She had been taking Adult Mice regularly.

The only thing shes shown interest in with feeding attempts since then was the Rats. As I said...somewhere, she peeled the leg skin off one like a drumstick and she bite the bloody crap out of its head but no take. It was an adult Rat though and the Adult Mice are small. They say full grown and they are ,but I could SWEAR there are bigger Mice out there. I don't know where?

Tommorrow Jeff's visiting a Pet Store we've never been to and I called before hand and it looks like we'll be able to get weanling Rats. Not like I'm a Snake whisperer and you guys help with the info, but she is mine and nobody knows her like me, literally. I'm the only human she knows, not even Jeff messes with her. She still knows his scent from around the house though.

My "guess" and I know I'm new. Between on here and my observations is that she needs this new setup, to feel secure again and I have this NAGGING feeling that if I get these smaller Rats, freeze them and then wait a couple weeks she'll tag.

I read in the chat room talking that a Ball sometimes feels less secure with hides. That made me say what? I'm used to the concept of having hides. You read they need them EVERYWHERE! I would see pictures of Ball setups with no hides and I had to stop myself from posting "Hey you need hides." I never knew why or why not. I still don't. I do know though that that hide was very small on her. I understand the comfort in them liking having a wall against them, but I COULDN'T get her to eat in that hide. She refused to come out for it. She would eat more on the nights when she was out, without me removing her hide is what I used to do. I thought it was ok come feeding time? I realize its just not cool to have to "shake" your Snake out of its hide. So it would make sense not to have hides huh? An no she doesn't have this hide anymore. She has new plastic ones that aren't logs, small dishes.

I'm not a psychic. I could very well be wrong but its middle Spring here almost Summer so she should be getting out of fasting here soon. In Winter I could blame fasting but then I got the hint something was wrong but couldn't pinpoint it. Its not an excuse but a reason. Those of you that can remember your first compared to the 70th Ball you have know....just think about it. I do admit ashamedly that it takes me to long to work through a problem.

Lickitys got quit a personality to that I've never mentioned. Were not much for story telling about our "Pets" here. lol Jeff and I got in an argument once. He yelled at me and said to stop acting like feeding time for her was some secret thing between me and her and let one of his friends watch her eat. When I first got her the Vet said she was a little underweight so I feed her in the dark, same tub (where she feels secure) all by myself not breathing on her and not making ONE sound. I wouldn't even let one spec of light in the room. I wouldn't even move I was nervous. I still do the same thing just not as "tight" about it. Still the only one in the room when I feed though. One of his friends got to watch once and I was SURPRISED she ate in front of him. She really gave a show that night and its not a show is how I think about it. I mean the poor Boa (I think) that had to suffer through a Britney Spears show. The Snake even hissed at her.

If I even drop the Mouse on accident out of the tongs she runs and hides and won't eat. When she eats shes aggressive about it though. It seems to me shes associated the tongs. She followed them across the tank one night and ignored the live Mouse. What? That was weird.

BAM! Theres all my over complicating for one night. lol I just think that there are signs. If a Snake does this you can predict this, like reading body language and hers is more complicated to me then Jakes. (The Corn Snake.) I also feel insecure about him. I don't feel like I've got the hang of the size. It always looks to big for him when he eats and after but he always keeps it down and digests it just fine. I still get freaked out! Not all the time though. An somebody said when he acts crazy hes hungry! Hes on adult Mice to and I really didn't think it was time for an update?

Simply though I've got $5.00 she eats in the new tub after a couple of weeks with a smaller Rat. Then again though maybe I should keep my money because shes never eaten a Rat. Maybe I'm being optimistic?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 AM   #50
Pink Lady Exotics
Most balls fast during the winter, but it's not abnormal for them to fast during other times of the year too. They tend to do it when they feel uncomfortable/stressed. I wouldn't be so worried about it. I got one of my females in May 2006 and she didn't eat until this past December. Turns out she needs to be in a black rack with a hide inside, and the hole of the hide facing toward the back. Simple change did the trick.

I would get her enclosure settled, leave her hides in there (don't take them out), and leave her/the enclosure alone for a few weeks to let her settle down.

Also, have you tried live? Maybe she just doesn't want dead prey.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!